Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Beans

Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Quote Originally Posted by madscientist View Post
    gmcauley: sorry but I don't have any 64bit systems so I can't address your question; you might just have to bite the bullet and try it out
    Well I just tried it out and it did not work. It failed without any message(s) after entering my password during the install.

You say that the libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 is necessary. This does not seem to be a 64 bit package. I have saw a post where 'dpkg -i --force-architecture' was used to install this package for another application. I am tempted to try it, but don't want to stomp on anything.

Pardon my ignorance, this is new territory for me, but how can one know what exactly in this package is needed for NC?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I really need this to work for 64 bit too! I've actually got a 32bit firefox/java setup but the pop up does not show up after putting in my password. Can't get it to work in 32bit or 64bit firefox/java in a 64bit environment.
    Is it just me, or does Linux and the vast possibilities of what one can do with it tend to consume one's life?
    "When are you going to leave your mistress?" ~ my wife referring to Linux
    Ubuntu User # 15599 / Linux User # 449339

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by gmcauley View Post
    You say that the libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 is necessary. This does not seem to be a 64 bit package. I have saw a post where 'dpkg -i --force-architecture' was used to install this package for another application. I am tempted to try it, but don't want to stomp on anything.

Pardon my ignorance, this is new territory for me, but how can one know what exactly in this package is needed for NC?
    This package contains an older version of the C++ STL and runtime library. What we can infer from this requirement is that netconnect is a C++ program that was compiled with a much older version of GCC on a much older version of LInux. This package contains a backward-compatibility library needed by such programs.

It's safe to install; it won't be used by any modern programs (thanks the magic of shared library versioning).

I'd like to help you guys but I just don't have a 64bit system available to test on and I'm not that familiar with how Linux does its multiarchitecture layouts.
    "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist

Beans

Im also trying to get this working on amd64 Feisty install (Will try gutsy If I get this going)
    I started with the stuff in the first post (ignored rpm part as I had rpm support)
    I tried to force the libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95 into my system with the following (found it on the net)

Code:
    wget http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/ubuntu/pool/universe/g/gcc-2.95/libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-24_i386.deb
    sudo dpkg --force-architecture -i libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2_2.95.4-24_i386.deb
    then I started swiftweasel32 as root and loged on (dont know if I need to be root)
    Code:
    sudo swiftweasel32
    Now I got the .juniper_network/ stuff in my home folder
    but for some reason it complains that It don't find libXm.so.3
    but I have
    Code:
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      14 2006-12-22 14:09 /usr/lib/libXm.so.2 -> libXm.so.2.0.1
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1538384 2006-06-20 03:12 /usr/lib/libXm.so.2.0.1
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      14 2007-09-04 23:36 /usr/lib/libXm.so.3 -> libXm.so.3.0.2
    -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 2751576 2006-11-13 07:48 /usr/lib/libXm.so.3.0.2
    But maybe I have to add a 32bit version of libXm.so.3?

I also discovered that I got version 1.1 so I will have a talk with "IT department" about an upgrade to version 1.2 (or newer)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by nofear07 View Post
    Ok, I got it working. Don't know why but after a reboot it was working fine. So something was hanging the process.

Also I too did not have to use the scripts provided by madscientist. This is for Netconnect 1.2
    Good for you Reboot didn't help me

Code:
    ncapp.panic Failed to read password from prompt (nccommon.cpp:614)
    It used to work couple days ago, so I wonder if some package I've installed recently broke that. Or IT changed something...

Does anybody has similar experience?

Beans

Good news / bad news about Gutsy.

Good:
    It works. I had to change my shell from dash to bash because I kept getting the root login prompt but I was going to do that anyway because of all the command line work I do. It's easy enough with:
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure dash
    Bad:
    Upon exiting the vpn, my primary network connection doesn't return. This behavior didn't happen previously. This is easy enough to resolve with a little desktop script to restart the network but I'm not sure why this happens.

Beans

I found this link
    http://www.entropy.ch/blog/Mac+OS+X/...alization.html
    It describes how you can use the commandline to setup a connection with something like:
    Code:
    cd ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect ./ncsvc -h vpn.example.com -u joesixpack -p [PIN][SecurID token] -r SecurID -f vpn.example.com.der
    maybe this is the solution for AMD64 since it might not neet the GUI stuff. But when I try I get:
    Code:
    ncsvc> DSSSL_load_so failed
    If possible it would be nice to see if this method works for the people that allready have this working ...

Beans
    Distro

Ooooh, a command line interface! That would be sweet!

Unfortunately, it doesn't work for me . I was able to get the .der file but if I run ncsvc directly it stops with no error code or error message, but it doesn't do anything else either (that I can tell--definitely my VPN is not up).

I then tried invoking the Java app directly from the command line instead of the browser, and I got an authorization error. I didn't do too much with it after that; I probably have other things I could play with.

The errors I got, though, don't look like the one that zingo saw, for whatever that's worth.

Beans

My test was on a AMD64 install, that could explain the different output.

Where did you get the .der file was it in the .jar or from the net? In my version 1.1 jar file I didn't get it.

Beans
    Distro

It's not sitting there on the disk. You have to run a special command to get it. I can't remember the command offhand, but if you follow the various links referenced in your post you'll find it. I think it was in the Gentoo forums link somewhere; there's a step-by-step guide and it describes the commandline you need to invoke to get the .der file.

I still would like to poke at it some more before I conclude it will never work, but just following the directions as-is didn't work for me

Page 9 of 56 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast