Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Beans

Re: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

madscientist,

I followed the instructions on the first page and am getting partial sucess. Basically,I am still prompted for the su password. I'm running Feisty btw.

The error:
    Code:
    /home/username/.juniper_network/network_connect/installNC.sh: 9: cannot open such file
    /home/username/.juniper_network/network_connect/installNC.sh: 9: 1: not found 
    Service needs to be reinstalled.
    When I enter the root/su passowrd, it connects fine. If I cancel this (CNTRL-D) and 'N' to try again, I still get connected.

I tried:
    • deleting ~/.juniper_networks
    • Start netconnect
    • Cancel password prompt
    • deteting ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect
    • cp -R ~/.juniper_networks/tmp to ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect/
    • extracted your installNC.sh and xlaunchNC.sh to the network_connect directory
    • chmod +x ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect/*.sh
    • Login to the juniper box and start netconnect
    • Still prompted for su password

I noticed that ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect/ncsvc was owned by root:root

I tried chown'ing it to myself and it still prompts for su password.

Do you (or anyone who have had my problem) know what I'm missing?

Regards and thanks for the post!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This is because apparently Juniper doesn't employ anyone who knows how to write shell scripts (or else they're busy elsewhere). See my post #4 and also my post #12. You'll need to replace the scripts in your package with the ones in the attachment, then (maybe) use chattr +i to make them immutable.
    "Please remain calm...I may be mad, but I am a professional." --Mad Scientist

Beans

Thanks for the quick reply, madscientist.

Unfortunately, when trying to 'chattr -i' the files in question, I get:

Code:
    chattr: No such file or directory while trying to stat install
    I know this is not a VPN connectivity issue, but have you come across this before? I'm running Feisty on REISERFS partitions.

I tried this on another Feisty installation and same problem. The command did work on a RedHat machine (I copied the files onto USB drive and ran the commands on the files from RedHat).

But when I took it back to my Feisty laptop, NetConnect would still prompt for reinstallation of the service.

Anyway, any insight (from someone with 5 cups) would greatly help a single-cupper.

T

Beans
    Distro

Sorry, you're out of luck if you're using reiserfs. That filesystem doesn't support the chattr command.

There may be some other way to make files on reiserfs filesystems immutable even to root, but I don't know what they are. You'll have to seek out someone using reiserfs filesystems (this is not a standard filesystem type for Ubuntu AFAIK).

It's possible you won't need this anyway; you should try it without the chatter, just replacing the scripts, and see if it works. The Juniper stuff is hugely annoying in that it seems to unpack itself every time you connect, but maybe it will work anyway.

It's pretty obvious Juniper doesn't give a crap about Linux. I guess they think we should be happy they offer any support at all.

Beans

I am a rookie in Linux....!!! So pls pardon me if I am asking any silly Qs.

I can't really get past the following lines even after supplying my root password..What must be the problem.. ?

I have also edited the su commands to sudo in the script.. becoz i read somewhere that ubuntu uses sudo instead of su.. but even that didn't help me..
    ========================================
    ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect/installNC.sh: 9: 1: not found
    Service needs to be installed for the first time.
    Please enter the root/su password
    Password:
    su: Authentication failure
    Sorry.
    Invalid su password and/or Unable to install ncsvc
    Do you want to try again (enter y to try again):

Beans
    Distro

If you check the first message in the thread it says: "The installer wants to use su, not sudo. I just set my root password to something while I installed it, then reset it again later" Unfortunately it looks like the link I provided there has been changed so it no longer tells you how to do that. So, run this:

sudo passwd

then when it asks for a password type your password first. Then it will ask for ANOTHER password; this will be the root password. You can put whatever you like here, it's just temporary. Then it will ask you to confirm the password; type the root password again.

Now, when you start up network connector and it asks for the root password, enter the one you created. It should work. It should also not need to do this again since it's installed what it needs to.

So, you should undo your root password again (trust me: the one and only time one of my Linux systems was hacked was because I forgot to reset the root password and I had used an easily-guessable one; someone brute-forced it 5 months after I had changed it :-/) To unset it again use:

sudo passwd -l

to lock the root password again.

The reason changing the script doesn't help is because network connector unpacks the scripts again every time you start it. Annoying, to be sure.

Beans

All this does work for feisty. You need to make sure you have the packages as detailed in the begining:

Code:
    apt-get install openssl libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2 sun-java5-bin sun-java5-jre
    next do
    Code:
    ln -s /bin/true /bin/rpm
    and I also had to change this
    Code:
    ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib/libssl.so
    If you need any help try to PM me and I will be glad to help out as I can. Juniper has chosen to only support RPM based programming. If you want future mainline support get with your local Juniper rep and ask them to submit an ER to support DEB or you can contact myself

best of luck

Beans
    Distro

I don't care so much about supporting only RPM (it would be nice to support DEB as well, but we can work with it). I just wish they would spend a little time creating sane shell scripts instead of the buggy mess they have now. That would make things MUCH simpler. After that, if they could get a more traditional install model (where the install is a separate step, if it requires root privileges) that would be nice too.

But I have to say, I much prefer this model to the Nortel/Apani client model; that client is unquestionably more polished and has some features the Juniper one doesn't, but it (a) costs a lot extra, and (b) requires a proprietary kernel module which makes it a big PITA: you have to downgrade your kernel and/or run a custom kernel to use it.

Cheers!

Beans

from https://lists.ubuntu.com/archives/ub...il/112723.html

ln -s /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.8 /usr/lib/libssl.so

resolves the libncui.so issue

Beans

Thanx a Ton friends.. specially to madscientist and nofear07..

My VPN connection is working fine...I did exactly what madscientist mentioned in #56 thread and it solved the password issue...Fantastic.

BTW: How can I stop the shell pop-up which asks me to enter root password.. I have inactivated the password and the VPN works even after forcibly closing this shell, but How can I get rid of this pop-up?
    Last edited by Leotar; August 27th, 2007 at 03:09 PM.

Page 6 of 56 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast