Thread: HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on Ubuntu Dapper

Threaded View

Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Lightbulb HOWTO set up Juniper Network Connect VPN on 64-bit Ubuntu 11.04

I also had quite some trouble getting Juniper to run on a new 64-bit Linux installation (Ubuntu 11.04 "Natty").
    Using a 32-bit chroot works, but is quite cumbersome.

After a lot of investigation and trial and error, I realized that the - only - problem is that ~/.juniper_networks/network_connect/ is a 32-bit library, thus it cannot be used by 64-bit Java.
    Shame on Juniper that they do not provide a 64-bit version of the library! This would be the only thing they'd need to do to support 64-bit Linux systems out-of-the box.

First note that JNC will only work with the Java Runtime Environment from Sun/Oracle. In case your installation uses another JRE as default, you may use the command sudo update-alternatives --config java to switch to java-6-sun.

My workaround for a 64-bit installation is as follows.

Additionally install the 32-bit variant of Java: aptitude install ia32-sun-java6-bin .
    Assuming that Java is installed at /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/ and at /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/bin/ ,
    rename /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java as /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java.orig and
    save the following shell script as /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java :

if [ $3x = "NCx" ]
        /usr/lib/jvm/ia32-java-6-sun/jre/bin/java "$@"
        /usr/lib/jvm/java-6-sun/jre/bin/java.orig "$@"
    This script should be readable and executable for all. It will call the 32-bit variant of Java when launching Network Connect (and otherwise call the default 64-bit variant).
    Last edited by dvo; August 26th, 2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Corrected typo