Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What pvr software works with ubuntu 15.10 or 16.04 'out of the box'?

Beans

Re: What pvr software works with ubuntu 15.10 or 16.04 'out of the box'?

Ok I got one of the new RTL2832U dvb-t sticks (the white one in the picture above) it works well (haven't recorded yet cause I only have an 8gb ssd so far (need another drive)) but if it works I might add another stick and test dual tuners.

The old asus u3000 one doesn't seem to want to change to a different signal broadcast (set of channels) unless you restart the application so it wouldn't be a good test of dual tuner recording.
    Last edited by ultragamer2; June 9th, 2016 at 08:26 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good to hear the new dongle is working fine.

Unsure if Me-TV can handle two tuners. If you're thinking of recording one channel and watching another. I suggest you experiment with one first and set a recording on one channel while watching another. It will probably give a message the recording is about to start and prevent you from watching the other channel, but ...

With two tuners, guess you could open two instances of Me-TV or whatever other app you're using.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; June 9th, 2016 at 09:46 AM.

Beans

It would be mainly for recording two things at once, but with the fairly limited number of shows that I would watch on offer it would probably happen rarely.

One thing though, I wish there was a better epg where you can view only the shows for one channel over the next week. I liked using Kodi but installing tvheadend (tv backend) and getting it to work seems to require a linux expert to do, or a very specific older version of linux.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Schedule data is a **highly** local issue. Every region has to deal with it separately. For example, in the US, stations broadcast only 2 hrs of upcoming schedule data and there are not any free sources for Linux users except websites with tonnes and tonnes of javascript - nearly impossible to programmaticly parse. The tuner software has to scan every channel to capture that schedule data ... which takes about 8 minutes for my tuner to hit the 70 channels. Doing that every hour or two basically locks up 1 tuner while that happens, preventing it from being used to capture a complete show. I know this is how it works (NextPVR on Windows tested) here. People in USA/North America pay US$25/yr for schedule data from ¨schedules direct¨ to get 10-14 days of schedule data in advance. 5 yrs ago, it was possible to grab data from a free web site (tvnow.com? - I don´t remember), but they´ve made changes to prevent that AND altered their ToS to disallow it.

I understand that in other parts of the world, especially Europe, there are free sources of schedule data available, but that each country/region has different sources.

I like to think I´m a Linux expert after 23 yrs (15 as an administrator and 10 as a C/C++ programmer), but was unable to get TVheadend working following the instructions on both a P-pi and a normal x86 Ubuntu machine. Guess I´m not an expert.

Anyway - when it comes to schedule data, please include your location to get any help.

Beans

Yes that is a small problem I am having that it sort of freezes (plays tv but I can't do anything in the me-tv gui) in the beginning while it's updating the schedule data.
    So if I get a second tv stick using me-tv it will use the second tuner to get the schedule data, will it still freeze the interface?

I've always had 2 tuners before but there are way less channels than 70 and I never really noticed any delays in nextpvr through kodi but have noticed other problems like buffering on hd channels. I used to just select view epg for one channel and scroll through all the shows for the next 6 days and select things to record and it seemed to get the data in the background and I didn't really notice it causing any problems. I wish there was a single channel view in the me-tv epg. So I'll have to select shows to record every couple of days instead.
    Last edited by ultragamer2; June 10th, 2016 at 03:37 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Not exactly what you're looking for, and may not be of any help, but under View> Preferences, what about 'EPG span' and 'EPG page size'? Can you tweak that to help?

Also, you can delete channels you don't watch (I get rid of info channels) and rearrange where the channels are in the channel list (View> Channels and just drag and drop channels to where you want them to appear on the list). This might give you all your favoured channels in one group, making it a little easier.

Just thought I throw it in ...

Beans

OK yeah that makes it a bit better but add more delay.

Another problem is I can't get it to work with HD channels.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

That doesn't give much information to go on. How does it 'not work'?

As you seem to have had you original question answered on this thread, for your own benefit as it may improve your chances of support, it might be better to mark this one solved and start a new thread for your new problems as they are veering away from your original question and thread title and in to new territory.

Just a thought. You can always post a link here to the new thread.

Beans

As an update to this. I got everything to work except for waking to do a scheduled recording.

It will record only if the computer is on, if it is in suspend mode it won't wake to record.
    Has anyone got me-tv to wake to record?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You never got back to this with a reply then so please don't wake an old thread to post a duplicate now. Thanks.

Thread closed.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; September 24th, 2016 at 06:07 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123