Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 No window for Unity Launcher Folders

Beans

Ubuntu 16.04 No window for Unity Launcher Folders

I am a brand new Ubuntu user. I installed the 16.04 distribution and wanted to modify the launcher to contain folders. A bit of Google searching pointed me to the Unity Launcher Folders package. I installed it, but when launching it the icon appeared in the launcher without the pop up window needed to use it. I even installed Gdebi and reinstalled the deb package with that. Still no window. I tried several Google searches looking for the problem. I did not find anything useful from the searches.

I then tried installing the drawers package but that had the same problem (No window for use).

The following is from my syslog file. I do not know if this is related to the problem or not but thought I should include it.

My thanks to anyone who can help.

May 19 13:29:11 W2VK systemd[1]: Started Hostname Service.
    May 19 13:29:12 W2VK gnome-session[1289]: Nautilus-Share-Message: Called "net usershare info" but it failed: Failed to execute child process "net" (No such file or directory)
    May 19 13:29:13 W2VK org.gtk.vfs.Daemon[1173]: ** (process:2333): WARNING **: Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend
    May 19 13:29:13 W2VK org.gtk.vfs.Daemon[1173]: ** (process:2328): WARNING **: Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend
    May 19 13:29:16 W2VK org.gtk.vfs.Daemon[1173]: ** (process:2333): WARNING **: Couldn't create directory monitor on smb://x-gnome-default-workgroup/. Error: Operation not supported by backend
    May 19 13:29:33 W2VK org.gnome.zeitgeist.SimpleIndexer[1173]: ** (zeitgeist-fts:1701): WARNING **: Unable to get info on application://nautilus-autostart.desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 No window for Unity Launcher Folders

unity-launcher-folders works here on 16.04.
    I downloaded the latest deb file from HERE <-----This is a direct download link to deb file from authors ppa.
    Are you using it correctly ...youtube video

Try opening from a terminal...
    Code:
    unity-launcher-folders
    I get some gtk errors but configuration window still opens.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by CantankRus; May 20th, 2016 at 03:02 AM.

Beans

Thanks for the response.

Re the video: Yes, I saw the video before I installed the package. It didn't help since I don't get the app window to use.

Re starting from the terminal: Thanks for the idea, I hadn't thought of trying that. Here is the result.

Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/unity-launcher-folders", line 46, in <module>
    import unity_launcher_folders
    File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/unity_launcher_folders/__init__.py", line 21, in <module>
    from gi.repository import Gtk, Gdk, GdkPixbuf, Pango, Gio
    ImportError: No module named gi.repository

Based on this result, I am guessing that I need to install a package. You may have gotten the missing module as a dependency when you installed other packages after your 16.04 install which is why it works for you. I may try installing the python-gobject package since google lists that as a cure for a missing gi module (Not gi.repository module).

I tried installing from the developer's PPA, but that install still didn't fix the problem. I will use Gdebi to reinstall the developer's package to see if that will resolve any missing dependencies.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have python-gobject which is a dependency of various applications I have installed (glipper kupfer pluma pulseaudio-dlna python-appindicator screenkey y-ppa-manager).
    I also have python-gobject-2 installed.
    Both installed from official repos.
    Code:
    glen@Xenial:~$ apt-cache policy python-gobject
    python-gobject:
      Installed: 3.20.0-0ubuntu1
      Candidate: 3.20.0-0ubuntu1
      Version table:
     *** 3.20.0-0ubuntu1 500
            500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu xenial/universe amd64 Packages
            500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu xenial/universe i386 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
    glen@Xenial:~$ apt-cache policy python-gobject-2
    python-gobject-2:
      Installed: 2.28.6-12ubuntu1
      Candidate: 2.28.6-12ubuntu1
      Version table:
     *** 2.28.6-12ubuntu1 500
            500 http://ftp.iinet.net.au/pub/ubuntu xenial/main amd64 Packages
            100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Did some testing from a live Xenial cd and this is how I got it to run.
    Installed unity-launcher-folders.
    Then...
    Code:
    sudo apt install python-gobject python-pil
    Edited /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/unity_launcher_folders/generateIcon.py ....
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/unity_launcher_folders/generateIcon.py
    Change line #17..
    Code:
    import Image
    to
    Code:
    from PIL import Image
    Last edited by CantankRus; May 21st, 2016 at 07:37 AM.

Beans

Thanks CantankRus. I haven't checked the thread for a day or two but when I did, I found your last post. I had installed python.gobject and received the error about the PIL Image module missing. I followed the commands in your post and now have a Tools folder and an Office folder in my launcher.

To summarize, Xenial Xerus has releases of Python packages but not the basic ones. Installing them solved the problem. (Drawers now works as well). I noticed that I now get the warning that the version to be used is not specified, but I think that is just a warning.

Thanks again. I am marking the thread as solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CantankRus View Post
    Did some testing from a live Xenial cd and this is how I got it to run.
    Installed unity-launcher-folders.
    Then...
    Code:
    sudo apt install python-gobject python-pil
    Edited /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/unity_launcher_folders/generateIcon.py ....
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/unity_launcher_folders/generateIcon.py
    Change line #17..
    Code:
    import Image
    to
    Code:
    from PIL import Image
    Thanks it worked!

Beans

thaks for me also

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

A simple question: How many Drawers you can have? Is there any limit?

For example, I made 4 drawers, and when I'm trying to add one more, it doesn't appear in the launcher

ps. Great piece of software, and I think it should be included in Ubuntu distro by default.