Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: I cannot get anywhere

  1. #1
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Beans
    2

    Question I cannot get anywhere

    I cannot get any support for my laptop and cannot seem to get a program from Linux or Ubuntu either. I was wanting to get completely away from windows. I have a Compaq Presario V2570NR Notebook PC. It has Windows XP Home SP3, HP AMD Turion 64 Mobil Tech ML32 1.79 GHz 385MB Ram, ACPI UniProcessor, System Board ID:3893, Processor Speed 1800 MHz, System Board Memory 512MB, Video Memory 128MB, Bios Version F-27. Do I have a chance of switching? I don't know which way to turn?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Beans
    892

    Re: I cannot get anywhere

    I would download xbuntu to a dvd or usb and install it from there. Not sure but you may be able to run it live before to see if you like it. Or kbuntu.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Great Plains
    Beans
    1,230
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: I cannot get anywhere

    Would not recommend Kubuntu - - probably run slow with the antiquated turion dual cpu. But Xubuntu has a reasonable chance to run well.

    If you're OK with getting most of your support from these forums, AskUbuntu, youtube linux channels - - then go for it. The install should be easy as you select the option to wipe the hard drive and install Xubuntu on the whole system. That's usually the fastest and most reliable type of install (e.g., replacing XP versus running alongside it). While the install should be pretty straightforward, it never hurts to watch a few videos of how to install, etc. (and how to use the installed system).

    Get it from: http://xubuntu.org/
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: I cannot get anywhere

    Check out lubuntu as your specs for your computer are rather very low.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    12,533

    Re: I cannot get anywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by bearlake View Post
    Check out lubuntu as your specs for your computer are rather very low.
    Hello and welcome to UF! I use Lubuntu (just its Openbox session) but it seems there's something even lighter called AntiX: http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRO-meyYGWg

    From there:
    antiX is a fast, lightweight and easy to install linux live CD distribution based on Debian Stable for Intel-AMD x86 compatible systems. antiX offers users the "antiX Magic" in an environment suitable for old and new computers. So don't throw away that old computer yet! The goal of antiX is to provide a light, but fully functional and flexible free operating system for both newcomers and experienced users of Linux. It should run on most computers, ranging from 256MB old PIII systems with pre-configured swap to the latest powerful boxes. 256MB RAM is recommended minimum for antiX. ...
    There maybe even lighter ones, but those would need a bit of "savvy".

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: I cannot get anywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Hello and welcome to UF! I use Lubuntu (just its Openbox session) but it seems there's something even lighter called AntiX: http://antix.mepis.org/index.php?title=Main_Page and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRO-meyYGWg

    From there:

    There maybe even lighter ones, but those would need a bit of "savvy".
    Thank You and have AntiX installed.

    bearlake <-- old

    Like Lubuntu better, but maybe just set in my ways.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Beans
    12,533

    Re: I cannot get anywhere

    Quote Originally Posted by bearlake View Post
    Thank You and have AntiX installed.

    bearlake <-- old

    Like Lubuntu better, but maybe just set in my ways.
    Yes, AntiX doesn't come with Openbox which I'm totally used to. No doubt, the other WMs are just as good but it would take some adjusting. But I like the spirit of AntiX.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    /dev/root
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: I cannot get anywhere

    If you want more tips about linux in old computers, please look at this link: Old hardware brought back to life

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Magic City of the Plains
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

    Re: I cannot get anywhere

    Xubuntu has a minimum RAM requirement of 512MB. Personally I'd not run it in anything less than 1GB RAM. Lubuntu might install on such a low spec machine, but don't expect much from it performance-wise.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    uk
    Beans
    9,299
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: I cannot get anywhere

    Hi

    Quote Originally Posted by Katherine_Johnson View Post
    I cannot get any support for my laptop and cannot seem to get a program from Linux or Ubuntu either. I was wanting to get completely away from windows. I have a Compaq Presario V2570NR Notebook PC. It has Windows XP Home SP3, HP AMD Turion 64 Mobil Tech ML32 1.79 GHz 385MB Ram, ACPI UniProcessor, System Board ID:3893, Processor Speed 1800 MHz, System Board Memory 512MB, Video Memory 128MB, Bios Version F-27. Do I have a chance of switching? I don't know which way to turn?
    Get a new (or second hand) laptop.

    Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

    If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

    Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •