Thread: Shortcuts to switch between workspaces (and other actions)

Beans

Smile Shortcuts to switch between workspaces (and other actions)

Hello, I've used ubuntu actively for couple of years, never learning to much to be considered an intermediate user, but tweaking enough to be able to control lots of things. I had to put ubuntu aside because of other projects I was working on and so it was for 2 or 3 years. Now I'm back and decided to jump into xubuntu, since I have a low spec notebook (my former notebook is undergoing maintenance) and wanted to customize my notebook gradually (instead of cluttering it with software I don't use). Xubuntu uses Xfce environment, which makes things different.

Problem is, I couldn't set workspace related shortcuts by following Menu > Settings > Keyboard(Application Shortcuts Tab) anymore. I searched the web for a solution and couldn't find any. So I started tweaking other menus.

To my surprise, those shortcuts are present under Menu > Setting > Window Manager (Keyboard Tab).

There you'll be able to set shortcuts for various windows and workspaces related actions (switch between workspaces, jump to specific workspaces, moving window to adjacent or specific workspaces, etc).

Since I didn't find any source on the web for my problem I thought It would be useful to register it here (even if it is already solved), so people looking for that particular setting find this answer.

Kennedy Richard.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: Shortcuts to switch between workspaces (and other actions)

Xubuntu is just about the most user-configurable desktop of the *buntus. I've always used the learn-by-trying-it method, but there is plenty of documentation at;

http://docs.xfce.org/start

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Yes, there are so many easy gui ways to customize. Then, playing with config files is a whole new world beyond that in Xfce.

For gui, here are some I use. Yes, some are the ones you mentioned:

Settings Manager > KeyBoard (I use some default and some I make myself there).

Settings > Window Manager > Keyboard (Again some default I use, some I make myself).

Just an example of KeepassX, as one of the more frequent apps I open but, I open lots like thunar, FF, on and on:

KeepassX = Alt + K Make: Settings > Keyboard > Scroll to bottom > Add > add keepassx > open > find keepassx click on it > enter Alt + K

Window Management by key-strokes in Xfce has lots of options to use. One needs to decide which they like: http://xubuntu.org/news/window-resiz...untu-and-xfce/

One can use launchers. Here is an example of a making one I used to use, when I made launchers from panel for a .pdf file I open everyday:

Stick a launcher in the panel and do like this for file launching. The file is called BP obviously.

Command = exo-open /home/mikodo/MyStuff/Documents/BP.pdf

For auto launching apps or services, one can use like I do to open my desktop upon start up in the inverse:

Settings Manager >> Session and Start up >> Application Autostart >> Add: xcalib = xcalib -i -a && then I have a key-combo to toggle it as wanted.

Then of course, one can change config files but, that is more involved and I usually need to do what the pros do like ToZ so, I won't lay claim to those.

I keep a text file of all the key-presses I use, to set them again on fresh installs.
    Last edited by mikodo; May 20th, 2016 at 04:23 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Kennedy_Richard_Si View Post
    Problem is, I couldn't set workspace related shortcuts by following Menu > Settings > Keyboard(Application Shortcuts Tab) anymore. I searched the web for a solution and couldn't find any. So I started tweaking other menus.

To my surprise, those shortcuts are present under Menu > Setting > Window Manager (Keyboard Tab).
    Yeah, window manager actions via keyboard shortcuts are kept separate from Application shortcuts, which makes sense really. Window manager actions is a much broader area than simple app launching.