Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Chromium and Flash videos on Ubuntu 14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Chromium on Ubuntu 14.04

Installed PepperFlashPlayer-browserplugin from the Ubuntu Software Center but it's still not showing up.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rdb3 View Post
    Code:
    max@max-GN571AA-ABA-SR5210NX:~$  dpkg-query -s adobe-flashplugin
    dpkg-query: package 'adobe-flashplugin' is not installed and no information is available
    Use dpkg --info (= dpkg-deb --info) to examine archive files,
    and dpkg --contents (= dpkg-deb --contents) to list their contents.
    I've tried several times to install it. At least I thought I had. ????
    Clearly, it's not installed. I suggest you reread the steps given in Post #2. Did you enable the "Canonical Partners" repository in "Software and Updates" by checking the box as shown in the image in post #2? After you check the box, when you close the window you get a popup message that says "Repositories Changed..." You need to click the "Reload" button on that message.

After the reload completes, as a check if you sources now include the new package, you can run

apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin

NOT available:

Code:
    dmn@Sydney:~$ apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
    adobe-flashplugin:
      Installed: (none)
      Candidate: (none)
      Version table:
    IS available:

Code:
    dmn@Sydney:~$ apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
    adobe-flashplugin:
      Candidate: 1:20160512.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
      Version table:
         1:20160512.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 0
            500 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ trusty/partner amd64 Packages

If available, then you should be able to install.

Also, there is this about pepperflashplugin-nonfree:

As of 2015-05, the old "pepperflashplugin-nonfree" is deprecated in favor of an official, maintained, one-step package called adobe-flashplugin, which works for Firefox and Chromium and derivatives...

source: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Chromium/Getting-Flash
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 14th, 2016 at 10:25 PM.

Beans

Installed PepperFlashPlayer-browserplugin from the Ubuntu Software Center but it's still not showing up.
    If you have a 32-bit Chromium browser, then this package does not work anymore.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    Clearly, it's not installed. I suggest you reread the steps given in Post #2. Did you enable the "Canonical Partners" repository in "Software and Updates" by checking the box as shown in the image in post #2? After you check the box, when you close the window you get a popup message that says "Repositories Changed..." You need to click the "Reload" button on that message.

After the reload completes, as a check if you sources now include the new package, you can run

apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
    I did this again and here's what I got..

Code:
    max@max-GN571AA-ABA-SR5210NX:~$ apt-cache policy adobe-flashplugin
    adobe-flashplugin:
      Candidate: 1:20160512.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1
      Version table:
         1:20160512.1-0ubuntu0.14.04.1 0
            500 http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu/ trusty/partner i386 Packages
    Then I went to the Software Center, did the install of AdobeFlashPlugin, but it still did not work.
    That's after giving it some time after re-starting Chromium.
    At least, Firefox works fine. I'm thinking I will have to settle for that.
    Thanks very much for all your help on this.
    Last edited by cariboo; May 16th, 2016 at 10:58 PM. Reason: normalize font to comply with forum C of C

Beans

Then I went to the Software Center, did the install of AdobeFlashPlugin, but it still did not work.
    If you install from the Ubuntu Software Center in Ubuntu 14.04, then the package you want to install is named "Adobe Flash Player Plugin". I think from the quote above that you may have installed the package named "Adobe Flash Plugin" - this installs flashplugin-installer 11.202.621ubuntu0.14.04.1 which is now only for Firefox, not for Chromium - I learned what it is from reading information found using the "More" button, then looking under "Version". You need to install the exact package shown in the attached screenshot to get the Chromium-compatable flash plugin from Ubuntu Software Center. Notice what I searched for in the search box.

Attached is a screenshot of the correct package to choose.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I think there is a PPA for the fresh plugin, and this will enable FF to use the pepper flash, it may support 32 bit.
    Obviously some folk still use 32 bit
    ppa:itachi-san/freshplayerplugin
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans
    Distro

If you install from the Ubuntu Software Center in Ubuntu 14.04, then the package you want to install is named "Adobe Flash Player Plugin". I think from the quote above that you may have installed the package named "Adobe Flash Plugin" - this installs flashplugin-installer 11.202.621ubuntu0.14.04.1 which is now only for Firefox, not for Chromium - I learned what it is from reading information found using the "More" button, then looking under "Version". You need to install the exact package shown in the attached screenshot to get the Chromium-compatable flash plugin from Ubuntu Software Center. Notice what I searched for in the search box.

Attached is a screenshot of the correct package to choose.
    Dennis,

That did it!! Works on this 32-bit machine.

In the Ubuntu Software Center, installed "Adobe Flash Player Plugin." It will show as... Adobe-flashplugin.

I checked the videos on a couple of news sources, and they are working.

Thank you so much for staying with this and taking me through it.

I did a "chrome plugins" and Schockwave flash is now showing. It was not before.

Code:
     Adobe Flash Player- Version: 11.2.999.999Shockwave Flash 11.2 r999

Name: Shockwave Flash
    Description: Shockwave Flash 11.2 r999
    Version: 11.2.999.999
    Type: PPAPI (out-of-process)
    Last edited by cariboo; May 16th, 2016 at 10:59 PM.

Beans

Dennis,

That did it!! Works on this 32-bit machine.
    Persistence pays off. The Ubuntu Software Center names for these flash plugins are confusing. You have to look at the details to be sure what you are getting.

Beware: the chrome://plugins in Chromium doesn't correctly display the version you actually have installed. Mine shows 11.2.999.999 also, which is wrong. The best way to check the flash version installed is to go to the Adobe test page given in post #4. I think it is 21.0.0.242 at this time.

Since yours is now working on your 32-bit machine, it has to be good.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 15th, 2016 at 01:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Persistence pays off. The Ubuntu Software Center names for these flash plugins are confusing. You have to look at the details to be sure what you are getting.

Beware: the chrome://plugins in Chromium doesn't correctly display the version you actually have installed. Mine shows 11.2.999.999 also, which is wrong. The best way to check the flash version installed is to go to the Adobe test page given in post #4. I think it is 21.0.0.242 at this time.

Since yours is now working on your 32-bit machine, it has to be good.
    Good to know that. I went to the Adobe site and I also have 21.0.0. 242 installed.

Thanks again!!

Beans

Re: Chromium and Flash videos on Ubuntu 14.04

Thank you!

As a user of 32-bit Estobuntu 14.04 I did not find Adobe Flash Player plug-in in Lubuntu Software Centre, but it was at Synaptic Package Manager and I installed Adobe Flash Player 21.0.0.242 successfully over there according to the test at http://www.adobe.com/software/flash/about/, even though Chromium 49.0.2623.108 for Ubuntu 14.04 shows at chrome://plugins/ that Adobe Flash Player 11.2.999.999 is installed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast