Thread: x11 apps = snap apps

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

x11 apps = snap apps

The command "snap find" shows something called x11-apps. Search for it in Ubuntu Software ( x11 apps) and we get a list of snap apps that are suitable for the desktop. And one developer has been quick off the mark with the app called Audovia. I do not have the skill set to use it but I would credit it as possibly the first useful snap app to be available for Unity 7.

So, we now have an easy way of seeing the progress in snap packaging x11 applications.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: x11 apps = snap apps

What the ...

Code:
    Name      Version  Rev  Developer
    x11-apps  1        2    chadmiller
    ventrical@ventrical-MS-7798:~$ snap list
    Name         Version               Rev  Developer
    ubuntu-core  16.04+20160419.20-55  109  canonical
    x11-apps     1                     2    chadmiller
    ventrical@ventrical-MS-7798:~$
    Is xpad one of these apps because it came up in the unity dash.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I did not install the x11-apps snap package. I saw it listed in snap find and searched for it in Ubuntu Software and that is when I noticed that searching for x11 apps lists those snaps with a GUI.

https://launchpad.net/xpad

I think that Xpad is a genuine X app. How did that get installed on your system?

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    I did not install the x11-apps snap package. I saw it listed in snap find and searched for it in Ubuntu Software and that is when I noticed that searching for x11 apps lists those snaps with a GUI.

https://launchpad.net/xpad

I think that Xpad is a genuine X app. How did that get installed on your system?

Regards
    I just did :

Code:
    sudo snap install x11-apps
    It is not on any of my other installs of unity8 with libertine..but , honestly I am not 100% sure.

Regards..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

A new X 11 app snap has appeared in Ubuntu Software bringing the total to 6. keepassx-elopio.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Whoa! KeePassX got my attention. Serious stuff, not superfluous "let's see if we can make a widget for panel", or whatever.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The snap repository also has these snaps by the same author but they don't show up in Ubuntu software. Perhaps because they are command line?

vault-elopio: kpcli-elopio; keepassx-elopio.

Beans
    Distro

Installed it but no icon to run it.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Ok.. update: Running my unity8 session with libertines and firefox and other deb packages installed through Libertine I decided to look at all my apps and noticed 'XApps' (which are x11 apps). I clicked it and it brought me to legacy containers and I was able to run firefox... so that what x11-apps is for I am typing in firefox now in unity8 yak. The wild beast yak.

Regards..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    The command "snap find" shows something called x11-apps. Search for it in Ubuntu Software ( x11 apps) and we get a list of snap apps that are suitable for the desktop. And one developer has been quick off the mark with the app called Audovia. I do not have the skill set to use it but I would credit it as possibly the first useful snap app to be available for Unity 7.

So, we now have an easy way of seeing the progress in snap packaging x11 applications.

Regards
    That is the app that is supposed to run with Libertine .. and all of a sudden it is gone from all my installs. So if you want to run apps like firefox in containers on Unity7 you need the x11-apps snap.

regards..