Thread: Itunes.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Itunes.

Hey

I'm looking to wipe the hd on my early 2009 MacBook and install ubuntu gnome. My only concern before doing so is for my iTunes library / music. About 90% of my music is already in mp3 so that's ok, but the other 10% is music that I have bought directly from the iTunes store. What can I do about that 10% Also what options do I have for maintaining my music collection on an iPod classic while using ubuntu gnome

Many thanks for your help...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Itunes.

If it is music you bought in the past few years, it should be DRM free if you bought it. Can you play a file natively from a live cd or by installing "unbuntu-restricted-extras" while running live? Ubuntu 14.04 plays .m4a files easily.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Thank you very much for your reply Most of the music that I've bought will be from after 2011. I haven't tried yet but I will give that a try asap. What about managing my iPod classic Like adding and syncing music to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by jonny6 View Post
    Thank you very much for your reply Most of the music that I've bought will be from after 2011. I haven't tried yet but I will give that a try asap. What about managing my iPod classic Like adding and syncing music to it.
    I don't know about the iPod issue, but the music that I purchased on iTunes all plays fine on Linux music players (provided you install the appropriate codecs). I think anything after 2011 should be fine - I don't remember when they dropped the DRM.

[Edit: A couple of songs that I bought in 2004 seem to be DRM-ed, but everything from 2009 and on plays fine.]
    Last edited by sgage; May 12th, 2016 at 01:34 AM.