Thread: 16.04 Ubuntu mate upgrade from 15.10 required lots of reinstalls

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

16.04 Ubuntu mate upgrade from 15.10 required lots of reinstalls

As a test, tried the option to update from Ubuntu mate 15.10 to 16.04, and while the update did basically work, only the default packages and setting actually got updated.

Had to reinstall all the non-standard apps that I had on 15.10. These were installed from packages, not from source, so I expected them to carry over.

Had to add the ppas back from 15.10.

Had to recreate all the external drive mountpoints from 15.10.

Had to reinstall all the printers that were there in 15.10.

All that appeard to keep was my Firefox stuff.

Plus ... first time I used Software Boutique and found it so limited in choices as to be all but useless. Ended up reinstalling Synpatics so I could then reinstall all my apps that didn't come preinstalled with 16.04 Mate.

So basically, apart from Firefox, I ended up having to reinstall practically everything else.

Don't see what value an "update" is, if you have to end up reinstalling everything that doesn't come preinstalled.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans

Re: 16.04 Ubuntu mate upgrade from 15.10 required lots of reinstalls

That doesn't sound right for an upgrade. Old packages should just be left, and typically still run. fstab should just be left as is, not recreated. I guess I'll find out what unexpected things happen on my 14.04 to 16.04 upgrade!