Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opera install no workie (?)

Opera install no workie (?)

I downloaded the file opera-stable_36.0.2130.65_amd64.deb to my freshly installed Ubuntu 16.04 system and then double clicked on it, which brough up the Ubuntu software installer. I then clicked on the Install button, and the install process seems to start, but then it just dies after a few seconds and opera does not in fact get installed.

What am I doing wrong? (This process seemed to work A-OK for the several other software packages I've already installed.)

Am I the only person this has happened to?

Is there something special that needs to be diddled in order to install opera from the .deb file?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Opera install no workie (?)

try installing it with gdebi
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Dual Boot -Ubuntu 1804 Bionic Beaver with Cinnamon DE and Linux Mint 18 Sarah Cinnamon

Beans

This is/was a bug in gnome & ubuntu-software that has been fixed, the fix is in -proposed & should be available as a normal update in the very near future.
    for info's sake apt (not apt-get) now handles dependencies so from a terminal this would work -
    sudo apt install /path/to/whatever.deb

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It installs fine on mate with gdebi
    if you like opera you may also want to try vivaldi web browser web page here :
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Morse Code an early Digital Mode.

Beans

Try..

Code:
    sudo apt install path/to/opera/debpackage
    eg, if it is downloaded to your ~/Downloads folder..

Code:
    sudo apt install ~/Downloads/opera-stable_36.0.2130.65_amd64.deb

Thanks everybody. After seeing the first response, I went ahead and installed gdebi and then used that to install the opera .deb file. That seems to have worked rather better, however...

Invoking opera from an xterm window (command line) opera comes up with no main menu (i.e. the big O button normally in the upper left). This is basically kinda ridiculous, cuz you almost can't do anything useful with Opera without that button.

I resarched this a little and found that this apparently has something to do with Unity hiding the button, however if one invokes Opera with the --show-opera-menu command line option, then you do get the "start menu" button in the upper left, where it should be. (There didn't seem to be any other way to get this. It's not something that can just be diddled, apparently, in settings.)

Of course, I'm sure that there are a zillion dedicated people working on Ubuntu who are just standing around with their hands in their pockets, waiting for something to do (just kidding), so perhaps one of those folks will fix this small bit of goofiness.

Unrelated Strangeness: While trying to find a solution for the above, I ran Firefox also, and used that for some judicious googling around. As I was looking at one particular page, in Firefox (sorry, I didn't save the URL) when all of a sudden, after that specific pages had been up for several seconds, the particular tab that I was looking at, in Firefox, went all dark grey on me... you know... kinda like the whole page was some greayed-out/unavailable menu item. The page was still visible, but it was underneath a semi-translucent dark grey overlay covering the whole page. At first I thought that perhaps Firefox was trying to tell me my Internet connection had just gone down or something, so I tried some pings from within xterm, and no, there was no connectivity problem.

So anyway, has anybody else ever seen this kind of behavior in Firefox? It sorta seemed to me like as if that one specific tab had caused some sort of quasi-crash in Firefox or something. I tried to close just that one tab, and Firefox exited. This is pretty much the strangest thing I've ever seen a web browser do, and I've been on the net for about 20+ years.

Beans
    Distro

Could it be you have activated Web Developer under Tools by mistake
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Dual Boot -Ubuntu 1804 Bionic Beaver with Cinnamon DE and Linux Mint 18 Sarah Cinnamon

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    Could it be you have activated Web Developer under Tools by mistake
    You talkin' about Firefox now, or Opera?

Well, anyway, the answer is the same in both cases. Nope, I didn't activate anything unusual in either case.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald_F._Guilmett View Post
    You talkin' about Firefox now, or Opera?

Well, anyway, the answer is the same in both cases. Nope, I didn't activate anything unusual in either case.
    I was referring to Firefox. I find Web Developer which is preinstalled is activated inadvertently on my PC quite often and it grays out the whole web page. For example copy and paste using the mouse can sometimes activate it

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald_F._Guilmett View Post

Invoking opera from an xterm window (command line) opera comes up with no main menu (i.e. the big O button normally in the upper left). This is basically kinda ridiculous, cuz you almost can't do anything useful with Opera without that button.

I resarched this a little and found that this apparently has something to do with Unity hiding the button,
    In an ubuntu session the so-called opera menu is in the global menus. If you don't want them there & rather in the opera window (opera menu) then edit opera.desktop.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast