Thread: How can I change the hostname in Ubuntu 16.04?

Beans

How can I change the hostname in Ubuntu 16.04?

Hi, I hope this hasn't been already been asked a 1000 times, but I can't work out how to change the hostname in Ubuntu 16.04. I'm not sure if it is the hostname I mean - I mean the name that appears in the terminal, i.e., 0000@1111 - I want to change the "0000" part. Tried sudo gedit /etc/hostname and sudo gedit /etc/hosts, hostname is registered as the one I want, but I've still got the "0000" name in the terminal.

Tried sudo nano, nothing works there either. And yes I've rebooted. Gksudo doesn't work.

Been googling around for over a week, already asked in several places, still can't find any solution that works. As I said, the host name is registered as the one I want, but it just doesn't show up in the terminal or directories. Am I able to change the name of the directory without deleting/moving all the files in it, or should I just scrap it and create a whole new account get my desired my desired name that way? It is kinda important, and I did not choose the existing name.

It's weird, every solution I've found or been told is really simple, but simply doesn't work for me. I must be doing something wrong, but I just can't work out what.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: How can I change the hostname in Ubuntu 16.04?

Unless I am mistaken the 0000 is your user name.

You can create a new user account then transfer all of your files from the 0000 account to your newly created account.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

I have changed the username, that's the one I log in with etc. So changing the username will just change the login name, and the change won't extend to the name that appears in the terminal?

Well, I guess I'll just have to create a new account, but it seems kinda flawed that it's not possible to actually change the username.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Welcome to the forums, kate8.

Below is a link to the process for changing your username properly. The problem with just creating another account is that, by default, your second identity does not have root elevation (sudo) privileges. If you then somehow delete your first account, you will end up locking yourself out of your system for any administrative tasks (like updates - yikes!). There are ways out of such a pickle, but they involve using a LiveUSB, etc and it's best to avoid such troubled waters.

Here is the link to the proper way to change user name so that you retain your default opening identity (userid: 1000) and root elevation privileges. As you can see, it's a rather involved process for someone new to Linux/Ubuntu. If you get a step wrong, you may end up not being able to log in. If you have just installed your system, I would actually recommend that you simply reinstall, but this time choosing the name you want. It may take a bit longer, but is conceptually much easier.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kate8 View Post
    I have changed the username, that's the one I log in with etc. So changing the username will just change the login name, and the change won't extend to the name that appears in the terminal?
    To change hostname (name of your computer), two edits have to be made:

1) edit /etc/hostname
    2) edit /etc/hosts

In each file, change the current hostname to the new choice and save. After making both changes, restart.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 5th, 2016 at 02:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

This command can be used to set the hostname.

Code:
    hostname
    Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis N View Post
    To change hostname...
    Quote Originally Posted by matt_symes View Post
    This command can be used to set the hostname...
    I suspect OP is actually trying to change username and is using the term "hostname" when what she really means is "username". I'm assuming this from her stated desire to "change the 0000 part".

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    I suspect OP is actually trying to change username and is using the term "hostname" when what she really means is "username". I'm assuming this from her stated desire to "change the 0000 part".
    If that's the case then i must stop speed reading posts

In any case, this can be used to change the user name

Code:
    sudo usermod -l <new_name> <old_name>
    That's a small L above.

From man usermod:

-l, --login NEW_LOGIN
    The name of the user will be changed from LOGIN to NEW_LOGIN. Nothing else is changed. In particular, the user's home
    directory or mail spool should probably be renamed manually to reflect the new login name.
    Kind regards
    Last edited by matt_symes; May 5th, 2016 at 08:30 PM.
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?