Hi, I hope this hasn't been already been asked a 1000 times, but I can't work out how to change the hostname in Ubuntu 16.04. I'm not sure if it is the hostname I mean - I mean the name that appears in the terminal, i.e., 0000@1111 - I want to change the "0000" part. Tried sudo gedit /etc/hostname and sudo gedit /etc/hosts, hostname is registered as the one I want, but I've still got the "0000" name in the terminal.

Tried sudo nano, nothing works there either. And yes I've rebooted. Gksudo doesn't work.

Been googling around for over a week, already asked in several places, still can't find any solution that works. As I said, the host name is registered as the one I want, but it just doesn't show up in the terminal or directories. Am I able to change the name of the directory without deleting/moving all the files in it, or should I just scrap it and create a whole new account get my desired my desired name that way? It is kinda important, and I did not choose the existing name.

It's weird, every solution I've found or been told is really simple, but simply doesn't work for me. I must be doing something wrong, but I just can't work out what.