Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you use Ubuntu for?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb What do you use Ubuntu for?

I use Ubuntu on my laptop mainly as a web browsing system, but also for email, office work, light gaming, etc.

What do you use Ubuntu for? Any very strange uses out there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: What do you use Ubuntu for?

Home server, programing, work, electronic hacks, check ubuntuforums.org, ...
    Best, Gnusci

"Never make a calculation until you know the answer." -- Wheeler, Spacetime Physics, pg 60.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Almost everything. The only thing I use Windows for is my unsupported Canon scanner.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Much the same as cariboo, I use Ubuntu for nearly everything. I don't currently have a Windows machine, though I would get one if I needed it for work.
    Ubuntu membership via Forums contributions
    BACKUP before installing or upgrading.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool, I only really use Windows for Gaming and video editing, also for BBC Iplayer downloads. That's it *Wish BBC would make a linux downloader*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Just about everything but music composition. Need Windows for that. But a day is coming when I will be able to ditch Windows even for that. The DAW, Reaper, is currently working on Linux capability. Although I currently use a different DAW, Sonar, I will gladly switch in order to be done with Microshaft.

Beans

I remember a thread with the exact same title that was around for years. Anyway, I use it for everything, plain and simple. It does everything I need.

wolfen69

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

I used Windows (the annoying, buggy Windows) strictly for gaming until the Steam Linux library got big enough that I deleted that partition and haven't used it since, nor do I plan to. I bought a cheap little Toshiba Windows 8 laptop, "upgraded" to Windows 10, and found its GUI just as annoying as 8's was. Trying anyway to dual-boot, I just threw up my hands and installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 with no Windows. Now at least I have a usable laptop with the GUI I want.

I drink my Ubuntu black, no sugar.
    Ubuntu user 28819

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by oldrocker99 View Post
    I used Windows (the annoying, buggy Windows) strictly for gaming until the Steam Linux library got big enough that I deleted that partition and haven't used it since, nor do I plan to. I bought a cheap little Toshiba Windows 8 laptop, "upgraded" to Windows 10, and found its GUI just as annoying as 8's was. Trying anyway to dual-boot, I just threw up my hands and installed Ubuntu MATE 16.04 with no Windows. Now at least I have a usable laptop with the GUI I want.
    Nice, I had the same thing when I got a Windows 8 notebook, as soon as the warranty was out. I put Ubuntu on it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Mainly for my photography. I use GIMP, LightZone, AfterShot Pro, and Darktable as my editors. I single boot Ubuntu since 95 and no longer have windows installed on any of our home computers, with one exception. When my grandkids visit they have Window 10 on the Laptops.
    Last edited by dFlyer; May 7th, 2016 at 02:34 AM.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast