Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: grub boot loader failed to install

Beans

grub boot loader failed to install

Hi I have just tried to install Lubuntu 15.10 on a 3yr old laptop, and am getting the message " the 'grub-efi-amd64-signed' package failed to install into /target/. Without the GRUB boot loader, the installed system will not boot. "

Followed by the message saying that the installer has crashed and the integrated bug reporting tool will collect data etc.

The the screen freezes.

What's the best plan of action, or could it just be that the hard drive has had its day?

Cheers

Graham

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: grub boot loader failed to install

Lets see if this shows anything:

Post the link to the Create BootInfo summary report. Is part of Boot-Repair:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Info
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Hi, thanks for the links, the URL from boot-repair is http://paste.ubuntu.com/16180962/
    thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Although this is off-topic, may be worth mentioning. 15.10 support ends in just under two months. You may be better served installing 16.04 LTS, a long-term support release which is recently released and is supported until 2021.

So, strange, you seem to have 15.10 installed but on sdb, your second drive and only have the EFI partition on sda. Did you use 'Something Else' and do that intentionally? Anyhow, you're in good hands with oldfred so I'll leave you to it. Good luck.

Beans

Hi bucky ball. thanks for the info I used the 15.10 iso that i downloaded a whike ago, didnt realise that a LTS had come out since. I'll have to do that later as I only have 2 USB's - the one that I am using now and a 1GB one with gparted on. I have a history of messing them up so i cant put bootable iso's on them a second time so daren't try 16.04 just yet.

Regarding the 'something else' option, Its very possible I selected that as I tried several times to install and did click on that Unfortunately trying the 'trial nd error' method

Beans

At first glance, looks like your only EFI system partition for grub is sdb1 (see line 71 of your summary), but Ubuntu's installer in UEFI mode won't install grub there - it always goes to the first sata drive (sda) which appears to be an FAT32-formatted flash drive and doesn't have an EFI system partition to use.

So that may be the problem.
    Last edited by Dennis N; May 1st, 2016 at 10:11 PM.

Beans

Hi denis, thanks for the reply.

Sorry, you lost me with the description. my technical knowledge is pretty basic. Areyou saying that the main partition is in the wrong format? The USB flash drive is the live USB that I used to install (and am currently using under the 'try lubuntu without installing'

cheers Graham

Beans

I see this exact error recently when trying to install 14.04.4 & actually today when trying to install ubuntu-studio 16.04.
    I both cases set the bootloader to install to sdb which is my internal ssd & currently has 16.04 ubuntu & 14.04.3

I'm thinking it's either an issue with an unetbootin created disk or some flaw in Ubuntu in general. I wonder why it wants to install the signed grub-efi package when I'm not using secure boot & have no need for it (the 'regular' grub-efi is what's being used..

In the case of ubuntu-studio the install hung on that error so I just force restarted & was surprised to boot up ok, my previous 16.04 was still first listed in grub & ubuntu-studio was shown, (3rd listed) & I could pick it & log in, ect. Obviously without the prior installs then a boot up wouldn't work.

Maybe try a different method to create your install usb other than unetbootin

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have had issues where on my desktops, if drives are not in SATA port order, a flash drive will move into the vacant drive.
    If you left SATA0 open, then flash may become sda and grub only installs to sda. If you can change SATA port order in system, check that drives start with SATA0, SATA1 etc with no vacant connections.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by grahamadgo View Post
    i cant put bootable iso's on them a second time ...
    You mean you have issues when you do that? You need to wipe the drive and format as FAT32 before creating any install USB. You're problem could be that your not and attempting to create an installer on a USB which already has data on it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast