Thread: end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

I tried upgrading from 15.10 to 16.04 and now my computer won't start. It gets stuck with the message end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0). I've tried going into "Advanced options for Ubuntu" and "recovery mode" I've tried recovery mode 4.4.0-21 but get the same message. All the other recovery modes I try I get a low graphics message when I try to reboot. I have tried 3.19-49, 4.2.0-27, 4.2.0-30, 4.2.0-34, and 4.2.0-35. In recovery mode I have Updated the boot loader, tried to repair broken packages and tried to work in the root shell. The root shell says it is in read only mode so I can't change anything. I have a HP Pavilion (DV5000) with 2 gig of memory and plenty of hard drive space. Can anyone tell me where to go from here. Do I just have to install 15.04 and upgrade up again? That is the only version I have on disk. Please help.

Re: end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0

I had a lot of views but no suggestions so I just installed a new version of 16.04. I'm guessing this was unfixable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: end Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0

I got the same thing when trying to boot from the 16.04 LIVE USB. Maybe I need to recreate the LIVE USB thumbdrive
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...0#post13491400