Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help! Fresh Lubuntu 16.04 install won't start

Beans

Help! Fresh Lubuntu 16.04 install won't start

Hello, I'm totally new to Ubuntu. I have an old netbook (Samsung N145 Plus) that was extremely slow on Windows 7 starter. I've decided to try Ubuntu for the first time yesterday. I've followed Lubuntu's instructions to the simple USB install, and did a fresh install yesterday, the one that formats the disk before installing. Everything went smootly on the installation, but after the reboot, it never booted. The only phrase that it shows is:

"/dev/sda1: clean, 121563/920272 files, 701079/3680256 blocks"

If I hold shift, I get the Grub menu and I can boot in recovery mode. I've tried all of the options there, although I couldn't start the network to or update the packages on the package checker, but I've tried the Grub update and file check with no success. If I resume the boot, I can boot and login (I'm using this netbook to post here). I tried to update the drivers, I get an Unknown Device that was disabled, I've selected the proprietary driver for it, still the same message. I wonder if it is the Graphics, since on this netbook the Graphics is inside the processor? I've installed the SysInfo package and nothing seems out of the norm.
    Since I'm pretty new to this, please post any instructions with details... If you ask me to open the terminal at the recovery or installation media please say how and from where, for example...

Thank you,

Ivna

Beans

Re: Help! Fresh Lubuntu 16.04 install won't start

I am running into the same problem on a old Dell desktop. It probably has to do with those darned video drivers.

This problem sounds similar to the one here:
    http://askubuntu.com/questions/38363.../391608#391608

Seems like one of the simpler solutions is to boot into recovery and use the "nomodeset" option.

This is completely ridiculous to have to do on a LTS that is supposed to be an entry for new users. When will the video driver nightmare for linux end?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@Ivna: Welcome. As suggested above, try the 'nomodeset' option in a recovery session. If you can't work out how, please post back. That is probably the simplest solution.

@navarro2: Never had an issue, unless you consider the 'nomodeset' tweak on an older machine I had an issue, but then, have always been lucky enough to have hardware that is compatible with Ubuntu.

Rather than lament Ubuntu's shortcomings when it comes to GPU, why not clear your mind and set your sights in the right direction: hardware manufacturers. What exactly do you expect Canonical or Ubuntu devs to do about GPUs that come with no Linux compatibility, no code and no drivers from the manufacturer?

Moan at hardware manufacturers, not here. I encourage it. If you have hardware that doesn't work with Linux, let the creator of that hardware know you're not happy.

Rant complete. Did nomodeset work?
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; April 27th, 2016 at 07:12 AM.

Beans

I've got exactly the same problem here, on several old computers (with no GPU), especially Samsung NC10 and Acer Aspire One Happy.

Although Lubuntu 15.10 works like a charm, 16.04 doesn't want to boot stuck on
    Code:
    /dev/sda1: clean, xxx/xxx files, xxx/xxx blocks
    I tried to install Ubuntu MATE: no problem to boot!
    What a pity for a LTS.

Edit: the nomodeset seems to work but (of course) resolution is bad.
    Last edited by Drimux; April 27th, 2016 at 09:43 AM.

Beans

Been with Ubuntu since 8.10, I have nothing but love for the OS and have had my fair share of frustration with the nVidia and hardware manufactures in general.

This release is the first time I've come to a dead halt immediately upon a fresh reboot because of a video card issue. Usually I get these issues after messing with the proprietary drivers; like others have said, 15.10 and other versions have been fine.

I hope this issue is resolved and put upstream soon.

Beans

Check this i created a bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1575460

it seems video drivers are not installed by default (intel for me)

workaround is change to a terminal (CTRL+ALT+F1)
    and install drivers

xvideo-xorg-video-intel for me...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kamiloxnumetal View Post
    Check this i created a bug report

https://bugs.launchpad.net/bugs/1575460

it seems video drivers are not installed by default (intel for me)

workaround is change to a terminal (CTRL+ALT+F1)
    and install drivers

xvideo-xorg-video-intel for me...
    This worked for me. However, the correct package is:

xserver-xorg-video-intel

Best regards

Beans

I had exact same problem - fresh lubuntu 16.04 install today on an old compaq celeron machine, but after install completed I was left with the /dev/sda1: clean..... message when trying to boot. Seems to be that the video drivers were not installed or wouldn't load, but the fix described above worked me:
    Basically,
    -hold down shift while booting to access boot options menu,
    -boot in recovery mode,
    -open a terminal window (ctrl-alt-t),
    -type sudo apt get-update (enter password when prompted)
    -type sudo apt get-install xserver-xorg-video-intel
    -reboot

I guess this will only work if you have an intel shared video card, but I suspect the process should be the same for other video chipsets - just download the appropriate drivers instead of the intel ones

cheers

Beans

Oh geez. . .many many posts applicable to the same issue(s), both for NVidia and especially Intel. From my understanding, the Developers have known about these Kernel/Graphics issues since 14.04.2. Another issue that has developed is that the same Kernel/Graphics issues have worsened, especially with 16.04. I still don't understand why the default 3.13 Kernel was not utilized until a Kernel fix was established.

The above solution is a temporary one. Actually you are better off shutting down completely and then a cold restart rather than a reboot. You also do not need to do an update, just the Intel install. You will not get very good Graphics at all. Poor font rendering. Some Desktop freezes. Update problems as well. A few error messages (just uninstall apport). Sometimes Firefox freezes and web page scrolling is subject to freezes. Programs may freeze. I am also running Lubuntu and have a very old P4, however the OS is at least able to function somewhat as a secondary OS, not as primary.

Beans

I see I'm not the only one feeling disheartened by theses issues. Was fixed, then an update broke it again....
    It used to work for crying out loud!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast