Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 desktop freezes during installation

Beans

Ubuntu 16.04 desktop freezes during installation

I have n older HP DV8100 series laptop that has been used with previous versions of Ubuntu 64 bit (14.04, 13) and those installations have worked well.

However the installation of 16.04 freezes during the installation. At first I thought it was occurring only during the final hardware configuration part of the installation but it has happened earlier during the file copy section.

I know the cause could be related to many things, though I am certain that 64 bit 16.04 can run on this laptop (AMD ML-40 processor, 2GB ram, 240GB SSD in adapter tray). About the SSD, it functioned perfectly under Windows XP. Its new and was tested several times. Ubuntu should be able to install properly on an SSD. The drive shows up accurately in the BIOS boot selector. I tried disconnecting every external piece of hardware (USB express card, cardbus, etc). The install does start with a message about the synaptic touch pad not having a driver (or something similar) so I'm using a mouse which it recognized perfectly. Running the live DVD shows that the machine can handle the load, as the graphics are fairly smooth.

About the DVD, I have burned a second one (the first was 16.04 beta). though I know its possible the 2nd one could be bad.. The Md5sum was correct and the DVD was checked with the installer menu choice for analyzing the DVD contents. It also checked out.

The laptop is old and I wonder if the motherboard may have bad caps or some other low level problem, though the old Windows HDD never freezes. I wonder also if the DVD RW in the machine could be tired out during install. This machine can't boot from a USB DVD RW and if it did I would be using it, since the internal DVD RW is a replacement for the original which was failing, and now the replacement is old too. Maybe it has some intermittent problem and can't carry the install to completion. I have an external USB DVD RW abd would use it if I could.

So this is my problem. I installed 16.04 on a new machine and its great. This old laptop still has life in it (XP works perfectly) so I want to put it to use. Its almost there and handles Ubuntu well. It just needs to get over this one hurdle.

Thanks for any help or suggestions.
    Sk.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 desktop freezes during installation

There is probably nothing "wrong" with your HW except that you are trying to install too much of a resource hog onto it. Ubuntu proper takes a lot of resources, especially graphics, and your old laptop probably can't handle it. I would recommend installing Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu-Mate. All three are less resource-heavy and should run on your machine. Try them out as LiveDVD/USB first and if they run, you should be good to go.

Beans

Hi,

How much ram do you have?

It seems it comes with 256-MB DDR1 synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) at 333 MHz, expandable to 2.0 GB.

Do you have all the specs for this computer?

If so, can you post them.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

does "Try Ubuntu" work?
    You can't have my Windows 95 until you pry it from my cold dead 1 GB IDE hard drive.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Skaperen View Post
    does "Try Ubuntu" work?
    "Try Ubuntu" works great. I was running it earlier with every program on the menu bar (8 Firefox tabs, all 3 Libre Office programs, the software center open, multiple folders open, the settings window open, etc.) all at once with no issues. The system was still responsive despite the relative sluggishness of the DVD RW. Windows were dragged with no lag or visible redraw time. Every feature was available and working well. In fact I would say that 16.04 is by far the fastest Ubuntu of the last 3 or 4 years - on this machine at least.

Clearly the problem is not with the specs of the machine, but some hangup or glitch due to a minor conflict. Hopefully its not hardware-based, though it would not seem to be as the DVD RW did not cause any problems working with the live DVD.
    Last edited by skanger; April 25th, 2016 at 11:12 PM. Reason: on this machine at least.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by sammiev View Post
    Hi,

How much ram do you have?

It seems it comes with 256-MB DDR1 synchronous DRAM (SDRAM) at 333 MHz, expandable to 2.0 GB.

Do you have all the specs for this computer?

If so, can you post them.

Thanks
    No problem. As I mentioned in the original post, this machine has the maximum 2GB of RAM. The processor is an AMD Turion ML-40. It has an ATI Radeon Xpress Zoom graphics system with a maximum of 256MB memory. It can be run with as low as 128GB graphics memory. Also as mentioned in the original post, it has a 250GB SSD mounted in an mSATA to 44-pin ATA IDE adapter. That combination works well in Windows XP despite not having TRIM or other SSD utilities.

I don't have all the specs at the moment and HP has moved (retired as they say) most info on 10+ year old products. However if you have any questions about specific specs please ask. I never had an issue with any of the last 3 Ubuntu versions running on this machine.

This machine does have WIFI, DVD RW, a touch pad, USB 2 and 1 ports, VGA out and most of the usual stuff 10 year old laptops had and new ones continue to have. I find it to be a very stable machine and have run a number of non-Linux and non-Windows operating systems on it. Again, let me know about any other specs you might need information about.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    There is probably nothing "wrong" with your HW except that you are trying to install too much of a resource hog onto it. Ubuntu proper takes a lot of resources, especially graphics, and your old laptop probably can't handle it. I would recommend installing Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu-Mate. All three are less resource-heavy and should run on your machine. Try them out as LiveDVD/USB first and if they run, you should be good to go.
    I appreciate your suggestion. Apparently there is some minor installation hangup between 16.04 and this machine.
    I don't mind taking some time to get this problem sorted out.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by skanger View Post
    ...I don't mind taking some time to get this problem sorted out.
    Your tenacity is admirable and exemplary. Have a cookie.

Beans

Hi,

With the ATI Radeon Xpress Zoom graphics you may need to run with 14.04 Lubuntu or Xubuntu. Not sure if the graphics card will work with 16.04 Lubuntu, Xubuntu or Ubuntu-Mate.

You can always try to run from a live USB/DVD

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It is a small point but I think it is relevant. If not to this particular problem but to the situation during the first restart after installation has finished. Do not tick the box Install third party software. That will set up a proprietary video driver. Each new version of Ubuntu comes with newer proprietary video drivers. And the proprietors of the drivers often drop support for what they consider to be obsolete video adapters. My video adapter is obsolete by Nvidia standards & is not supported by the latest proprietary video drivers in 16.04.

Another thing, make sure the DVD disc is clean & free from scratches & finger grease. You are at the point where wild guesses might be the solution. Most likely not but you never know.

There are three ways we can start a Ubuntu install session. It should not matter which way we choose but in the past I have found that on occasion it did make a difference. The three ways.

1) Allow the live session to load to a GUI Try/Install dialog. Select Install.
    2) Allow the live session to load to a GUI Try/Install dialog. Select Try Ubuntu and then select Install Ubuntu from the icon on the live session desktop.
    3) At the first purple screen with the icons of a human and a key board press enter. Then select an install language (default English ) and press enter. At the underlying screen with a text type menu select Install Ubuntu.

Regards & good luck.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast