Thread: Some questions about using Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Some questions about using Ubuntu

I want to switch to Linux but some of the Windows software I need won't run on Wine. I'm also afraid if I let MS upgrade me from 7 to 10 it will ruin my Linux installation.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Done With Windows and want to switch to Linux

Quote Originally Posted by rattskjelke View Post
    I want to switch to Linux but some of the Windows software I need won't run on Wine. I'm also afraid if I let MS upgrade me from 7 to 10 it will ruin my Linux installation.
    Please start your own thread for advice and support in this forum. We must refrain from hijacking the OP's thread.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Some questions about using Ubuntu

Moved to its own thread.

Hijacking is not only impolite to the OP. It also makes things confusing for those who would like to help.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

In other words, please start again from the beginning. What is the partition layout? Does this motherboard have a UEFI boot system or BIOS boot system? Does the hard drive have an MBR partitioning scheme or GPT partitioning scheme? What version of Ubuntu?

My advice based on people posting on this forum is to expect any upgrade to Windows 10 to disable loading into Ubuntu. So, prepare in advance by backing up your data; researching Boot Repair and even think about re-installing Ubuntu.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFI

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Hi,

Run both Linux and Windows.

You can Dual boot Windows and Linux or you can run Linux from a VM or visa versa.

Why limit yourself.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Cool Re: Some questions about using Ubuntu

Greetings Rattskjelke,

First off welcome to Ubuntu and second. Do not worry when i first made the bold and daring move to the freedom of Linux i was as well
    afraid that my Windows programs would not work. Now, depending on what software you want to use the WINE (software) can help you.

Although i recommend just dual booting why infect Linux with Microsoft code. And to answer your question about the dual booting i had the same issue.

I dual booted Linux Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with my Windows 7 PC it was all sunshine and rainbows.
    But then i upgraded to Windows 10 and it broke GRUB. The solution was fairly simple

ALSO NOTE (If after the upgrade it is only booting straight into Windows follow this artical to try ad get GRUB back and or follow my steps to resolve it
    URL http://itsfoss.com/no-grub-windows-linux/

1) Disable Secure boot in my BIOS/UEFI after installing Windows 10.
    2) Run Ubuntu from a Live DVD/CD and install Boot repair.
    3) Restart the PC without the Live DVD/CD and GRUB will be working again.

But please NOTE!

When i first did this GRUB named my Windows 10 OS in its list as Windows Vista it is just a typo error.

I do hope this has answered your question and feel free to post again.

"Ubuntu the final frontier."
    -UbuntuAddict99

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I didn't realize making a comment was considered thread hijacking. I wasn't asking for help or support.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hmmm, . . OK.
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 18.04 Bionic Beaver

I didn't realize making a comment was considered thread hijacking. I wasn't asking for help or support.
    And if you posted a non helpful "comment" or bit of "opinion" that does not go toward helping the OP, by definition, you are distracting or hijacking a thread.

I didn't see the original thread this was posted in so don't know the full context of the "comment". Being a regular helper here since 2010 I often come across "comments" or "discussion like" posts in support threads and find they often only lead to confusion when posted in a thread that someone is actually asking for technical support in. Try to understand the difference between a general discussion (as occurs in the cafe for instance or in real life) and threads posted in the general help forums (a means of getting technical help with a problem).

Regards, yeti.