Thread: System Non-Bootable, need help "cleaning" off bad data

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Exclamation System Non-Bootable, need help "cleaning" off bad data

Hello,
    Thanks for reading.

Question. HEre is a copy of "Boot-Repair" info.
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/16109098/

1st-When I try to run boot repair (the repair function) it errors out saying it see's a 64-bit machine (I have a 32-bit machine)--thus my guess is I've accidently installed "something" 64-bit (also causing my boot issues?).
    -----FYI---the "Boot Issue" is that It "Locks up" at the Boot Logo Screen. (Paradoxically---the num lock and caps lock keys work--aka not a "total lock out" with Keyboard, etc.). HOWEVER---I try to do a CTRL-ALT-DELETE (REBOOT) --- OR A CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE (have set up,
    "soft reboot"---will not work, need to "tun off" machine). ????

Code:
    (my setup). 

/dev/sda (is a former "old drive" (that I guess I need to remove the grub/mbr??? It's never caused me "Boot" problems before). 

/dev/sdb (is my Boot Partition (and is /dev partitoned accordingly

/dev sdd (is my USB ("multisystem") BOOT USB

(courtesy fyi---when I first saw it I paniced, but the dev part SDD1 (double DD) is the USB Driver I'm booting from (not *******SDB1********* (sdb1--my boot drive).

Code:
    sdd1: __________________________________________________________________________

File system:       vfat
        Boot sector type:  SYSLINUX 4.05 20140113
        Boot sector info:  Syslinux looks at sector 2074990 of /dev/sdd1 for its 
                           second stage. SYSLINUX is installed in the 
                           /boot/syslinux directory. No errors found in the Boot 
                           Parameter Block.
        Operating System:  
        Boot files:        /boot/grub/menu.lst /boot/grub/grub.cfg 
                           /boot/syslinux/syslinux.cfg /EFI/BOOT/grubx64.efi 
                           /sparkylinux1/EFI/BOOT/bootia32.efi 
                           /sparkylinux1/EFI/BOOT/bootx64.efi 
                           /boot/grub/i386-pc/core.img /boot/syslinux/ldlinux.sys

#################################

Prior attempts to fix
    (I've booted into recovery mode---for each kernel---and run all the "stuff"---fixes to run...to no avial (dpkg fix, grub fix, clean, fsck, etc.).

Desired Outcome
    "Boot back to my desktop/able to work"

###################################

(from Pastebin Link Above---pulled out what I think is valuable (???)

###################################

Code:
    =============================== StdErr Messages: ===============================

cat: write error: Broken pipe
    cat: write error: Broken pipe
    File descriptor 9 (/proc/23548/mounts) leaked on lvs invocation. Parent PID 8295: bash
    File descriptor 63 (pipe:[98818]) leaked on lvs invocation. Parent PID 8295: bash
      No volume groups found

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION :
    =================== log of boot-repair 2016-04-28__17h38 ===================
    boot-repair version : 4ppa14
    boot-sav version : 4ppa14
    glade2script version : 3.2.2~ppa47~saucy
    boot-sav-extra version : 4ppa14
    File descriptor 9 (/proc/23548/mounts) leaked on lvs invocation. Parent PID 25132: /bin/sh
    No volume groups found
    boot-repair is executed in live-session (Boot-Repair-Disk 32bit 29nov2014, trusty, Ubuntu, i686)
    ls: cannot access /home/usr/.config: No such file or directory
    CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
    BOOT_IMAGE=(loop)/casper/vmlinuz root=UUID=1DFC-792C maybe-ubiquity debian-installer/language=en keyboard-configuration/layoutcode=us iso-scan/filename=/boot-repair-disk-32bit.iso boot=casper file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed noprompt quiet splash --
    ls: cannot access /dev/sda1: No such file or directory
    sda10 (sda) has unknown type. Please report this message to boot.repair@gmail.com

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sda'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

WARNING: GPT (GUID Partition Table) detected on '/dev/sdb'! The util fdisk doesn't support GPT. Use GNU Parted.

THE RECCOMENDED FIX FROM BOOT REPAIR (BUT HOW DO I DO THIS????)

Code:

/boot detected. Please check the options.
    /usr detected. Please check the options.
    (debug) reinstall grub2 place-in-all-MBRs no-BIOS_boot (sdb1)

=================== Suggested repair
    The default repair of the Boot-Repair utility would reinstall the grub2 of sdb1 into the MBRs of all disks (except USB without OS), using the following options:        sdb2/boot, sdb3/usr,
    Grub-efi would not be selected by default because: no-win-efi
    Additional repair would be performed: unhide-bootmenu-10s

=================== Blockers in case of suggested repair
    64bits detected. Please use this software in a 64bits session. (Please use Boot-Repair-Disk-64bit (www.sourceforge.net/p/boot-repair-cd) which contains a 64bits-compatible version of this software.) 

This will enable this feature. GPT detected. Please create a BIOS-Boot partition (>1MB, unformatted filesystem, bios_grub flag). 

This can be performed via tools such as Gparted. Then try again.

Alternatively, you can retry after activating the [Separate /boot/efi partition:] option.

=================== Final advice in case of suggested repair
    Please do not forget to make your BIOS boot on sdb (1000GB) disk!

=================== User settings
    The settings chosen by the user will not act on the boot.

Download as text

Again, as a reminder, "Boot Repair" (either "Advanced" Or "Normal User"---won't run the above functions for me, thus need to do by hand, thus the advice.

thank you!!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: System Non-Bootable, need help "cleaning" off bad data

It is possible to run a 32 bit operating system on a 64 bit CPU but not the other way around. It seems that you are using a 32 bit version of the Boot Repair ISO image. It might be better to take the advice of Boot Repair and use a 64 bit version of the Boot Repair ISO image.

Using a 32 bit operating system is not proof that the CPU is not 64 bit. MIcrosoft was installing 32 bit version of Windows on 64 bit CPU machines for a long time.

Perhaps you could look up the make & model of that machine on the internet and confirm for sure that the CPU is 32 bit.

There is a lot about your set up that I do not understand. Such as why sdb is GPT partitioning but you do not have a bios boot partition. It is possible to use GPT partitioning with a BIOS boot system motherboard. I am using this on one of my 2 drives. But I did think that we needed a bios boot partition.

GPT partitioning is usually found with UEFI boot systems motherboards. In that case there would be an efi boot partition. Your GPT patitioned drive (sdb) has neither type of boot partition. Could that be the problem?

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; April 28th, 2016 at 10:11 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530