Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Done With Windows and want to switch to Linux

Beans

Done With Windows and want to switch to Linux

So as the title says....I am sick of Windows and want to start using Linux fulltime. I realize there is a small learning curve but was hoping to get some guidance. I've tested Ubuntu and Kubuntu and that's what I am leaning towards. I have ALOT of software that is mostly compatible with Linux but there are a few that aren't and I am okay with that. I also have a NAS I want to be able to access my stuff off of off the bat.

Thanks for the Help

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Re: Done With Windows and want to switch to Linux

Quote Originally Posted by sparker781 View Post
    So as the title says....I am sick of Windows and want to start using Linux fulltime.
    Please go to links in my signature.
    I realize there is a small learning curve but was hoping to get some guidance.
    The learning curve is not small. Please go to links in my signature
    I have ALOT of software that is mostly compatible with Linux but there are a few that aren't and I am okay with that.
    It is hard to be as sure of this as you now believe yourself to be. We sometimes don't see the full picture in the heat of the moment. Revisit this resolve when you have cooled down a bit. I do not recommend that you get rid of Windows. Most who do end up regretting it because there are some things that can only be done in Windows. Just as importantly, the Linux learning curve is not shallow. I strongly recommend dual booting until you get really comfortable with Ubuntu. Even then, there is nothing wrong with having the versatility of 2 OSes on your system.
    I also have a NAS I want to be able to access my stuff off of off the bat.
    This last is the easiest of your questions: Ubuntu should see your NAS off the bat.*

*EDIT

...that is, it will see your NAS with some configuration. Off the bat for me means "without having to load fancy drivers and such"
    Last edited by DuckHook; April 24th, 2016 at 02:53 AM.

Beans

It is dam near impossible to install and boot linux on a windows system. If you have successfully done so you are very lucky. Just remember that the next computer you buy may not let you boot to a linux system unless you buy it with linux already installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Neither of your statements is entirely true, nor is either particularly helpful.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Thanks for the Help
    We have not given you any help. Yet. So, I will give you some advice.

The last Windows version I used was Windows 98 but If I was you I would dual boot with Windows & Ubuntu. You would not be the first person to completely remove Windows and then discover that you need it for some reason or another. And without a Windows install disk or something like that there is no way back.

If we are to give you guidance there are some things that will help us to help you. The specification of the hardware. Whether the machine has a UEFI or a BIOS boot system. What operating systems are on the machine. The partition layout. And what the problem is. The signs & symptoms of the problem. And please, one problem at a time.

Oh, there is one more thing. Windows programs are not compatible with Linux. But there usually are Linux programs that do the same thing. It then becomes a matter of importing the data into the Linux program. Another reason for dual booting. At least until the switch over is complete.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Klawdek View Post
    It is dam near impossible to install and boot linux on a windows system. If you have successfully done so you are very lucky. Just remember that the next computer you buy may not let you boot to a linux system unless you buy it with linux already installed.
    I would have to agree with Qllll, I do it all the time it's a process you need to read up on in order to make it work. And it's very easy to wipe any Windows machine clean and install Ubuntu. So I would have to say your statements are far from true.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It is dam near impossible to install and boot linux on a windows system.
    I'm inclined to agree with the others who have responded. I regularly use a laptop which has both Windows (Vista) and Ubuntu (12.04) installed, and getting them both there was relatively painless. While it is true that I might need to learn some new stuff if I was to upgrade my gear and software, it's likely that I'd be able to get the help I need here should I run into difficulties.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

It is dam near impossible to install and boot linux on a windows system.
    Some vendors can tend to make it a bit hard at times, but a little research makes their efforts quite easy to sidestep. I am on hardware that is pretty new and not easy to work with in linux, one ppa later and one bit of downloaded source code to build a specialized driver and everything is working beautifully; once again a bit of research and a bit of effort and nothing is "dam near impossible". Besides, this is what these forums are about when any difficulties do happen to crop up; not for discouraging new users with such "advice".

Neither of your statements is entirely true, nor is either particularly helpful.
    ^^^ This I fully agree with.

@ OP, Note I also pretty much agree fully with DuckHook's comments regarding dual booting. It is a good way to transition across especially if the learning curve turns out to be a bit steeper than you may currently think and one or two applications make life difficult for you, and are hard to master, in Ubuntu initially.

I even keep a dual boot running after 8 years on linux, particularly while this newer hardware is still in warranty; though I am in the process of planning to finally remove the win 8.1 install as my machine is about to leave the warranty period. Looking forward to being Linux only again very soon myself . Happy Ubuntu-ing which ever way (full switch or dual boot) you decide to go OP.

Regards, yeti.
    Last edited by yetimon_64; April 24th, 2016 at 04:44 PM. Reason: gr.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I will echo the others advice to keep a small Windows partition 'just in case'. I've run Windows 10 as a guest in Virtualbox and have been able to accomplish the things i need Windows for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Mostly it depends on the installer's skill level. Heck, even most chromebooks, which are HW locked to only allow ChromeOS, can usually be modified to run Linux. Remove a screw, flash the firmware, and install. I'm unaware of any major PC vendor who makes Windows machines which are boot locked to a single OS - though I've heard that some MSFT tablets were initially.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast