Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Done With Windows and want to switch to Linux

Beans

Re: Done With Windows and want to switch to Linux

Run 5 laptops here that were purchased with Windows all running Linux at this time.

All worked right out of the box.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

This is drifting. The OP wants to switch to Ubuntu. Suffice to say most of their hardware will probably be fine.

To the original poster. Welcome. Read this then go for it. If you have issues with install, you'll improve your chances of support by posting a new thread in the Installations and Upgrades area. If you have any other questions pre-install, fire away.

If you have an older/lower spec machine you may be better off with a lighter flavour of Ubuntu, Xubuntu or Lubuntu. You'll find both with a quick search.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; April 24th, 2016 at 04:48 PM.

Beans

I'd stick with Windows if I was you. Ubuntu is wasting so much of my time it's unbelievable. Even stuff I install from the Software Center doesn't work, never mind stuff on WINE, which itself took me hours to install. I've just installed Laptop Mode Tools from the SC, and it won't open. I'm trying to install Freemake on WINE, but get a "rundll32.exe has encountered a serious problem..." error, followed by an error saying 2 Freemake installers are running - there are not. I'm only trying to install Freemake on WINE because the Linux equivalents have zero intuition. Prey won't install either. I give up.

It's a shame as I admire that the developers are trying to create a serious alternative to Windows.
    Last edited by alex517; April 24th, 2016 at 09:24 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by alex517 View Post
    I'd stick with Windows if I was you. Ubuntu is wasting so much of my time it's unbelievable. Even stuff I install from the Software Center doesn't work, never mind stuff on WINE, which itself took me hours to install. I've just installed Laptop Mode Tools from the SC, and it won't open. I'm trying to install Freemake on WINE, but get a "rundll32.exe has encountered a serious problem..." error, followed by an error saying 2 Freemake installers are running - there are not. Prey won't install either. I give up.
    Frustration is totally understandable; projecting those frustrations in the form of snark is totally not. The OP obviously had the reverse experience to yours, to the point of wishing to drop Windows altogether, so your recommendation is of no use whatsoever to him/her. If Linux is not working out for you after no more than three posts for help, then clearly it is not the right choice for you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    Frustration is totally understandable; projecting those frustrations in the form of snark is totally not. The OP obviously had the reverse experience to yours, to the point of wishing to drop Windows altogether, so your recommendation is of no use whatsoever to him/her. If Linux is not working out for you after no more than three posts for help, then clearly it is not the right choice for you.
    What I'm saying is that the grass isn't always greener over the hill.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by alex517 View Post
    What I'm saying is that the grass isn't always greener over the hill.
    A valid point. However, many of us have been using Linux/Ubuntu in various forms/distros for over a decade. We have personal experience of how green the grass is on both sides.

If you are still interested in making Ubuntu work for you, I would recommend that you start new threads with your own issues in the appropriate subforums. There is a lot of expertise here and we would be happy to help.

If you have decided to revert to Windows, then you have made a decision that works for you and there's nothing wrong with that. Best of luck either way.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DuckHook View Post
    A valid point. However, many of us have been using Linux/Ubuntu in various forms/distros for over a decade. We have personal experience of how green the grass is on both sides.

If you are still interested in making Ubuntu work for you, I would recommend that you start new threads with your own issues in the appropriate subforums. There is a lot of expertise here and we would be happy to help.

If you have decided to revert to Windows, then you have made a decision that works for you and there's nothing wrong with that. Best of luck either way.
    Thanks for your concern.

There are so many issues that I'd have to start numerous threads, with no guarantee of whether I'll get a fix, or how long it'll take to fix. Laptop Mode Tools not opening for example - there's not even an error message or code, it just doesn't open. I've managed to fix a few things through Googling, but more issues keep cropping up. Like AcidRip, the unintuitive software I was referring to - I've found out how to use it, only to find out it doesn't work. Again - there is no error message - nothing happens.

From my sole experience of Ubuntu, if you only want to browse the internet, watch video and create documents, the install I have is fine (although there were still a few hours of teething problems). Otherwise, it seems like too much bother, unless you're the sort of person that likes problem-solving fixes for your computer.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The "teething" pain can range from painful, to a blissful gumming . . . . . depending on your mindset, and whether that first computer you try Ubuntu on, is one of the 10-20% that really are only designed for Windows.

One for sure way to avoid 99% of the issues you describe are these 3 things:

> Buy a PC with Ubuntu pre-installed . . . AND

> Don't expect to "MANAGE" the PC using Windows skill sets . . . AND

> Don't expect to run ANY Windows software EXCEPT via Virtual Box or similar VM (instead, use similar Linux native software). See: http://alternativeto.net/
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

I would say it's great that you want to start using Linux. But really do not get rid of Windows entirely yet unless you know very well how to get along perfectly without it. I've been using some version of Linux since Ubuntu 8.10 and have yet to grasp the complexities of it all, especially since I've had to switch back and forth between Windows and other OSes for work and such. Believe me, I've spent lots of time testing out the many different "flavors" -- DSL, Elementary, Zorin, Mint, and several others in my spare time and I've had to do LOTS of figuring things out before becoming somewhat comfortable. But then again, I am for the most part a light user (word processing, web, etc., very often in Gimp and Inkscape when not over using Illustrator and Photoshop). I prefer Linux much more than Windows but am in no way ready to abandon the latter. Perhaps you have a greater skill level than I do but still my advice is to keep Windows around while you are becoming more familiar with Linux.

Beans

Code:
    So as the title says....I am sick of Windows
    I also was sick of many things in Windows, but I recently decided to build a dual boot system, after the failure of my 14 year old WinXP system. I am a complete novice with Linux, but I had built a Windows PC before. I started with Windows 3.1, 24 years ago. I always upgraded to newer versions but stopped with XP because Vista provided no upgrade path. Information I posted on my experience building the new system is in the “Ubuntu, Linux and OS Chat” forum, under the thread New to Linux – Ubuntu is a Wonderful Thing. Everything went extremely well, and the result has exceeded my expectations.

Dual boot was really the only option for me, as I had so much history and so many programs on my WinXP system for which I wanted continued access. Your desire to build a new system would depend on the age of your current system. Mine was kaput. Decision made.

A few additional comments:
    1) None of my Windows software was compatible, in the sense of being able to run on Linux. Many types of data, documents and photos can, of course, be moved to the Ubuntu drive and be accessible to new programs there.
    2) There is a good office suite provided in Ubuntu. The usual browsers are available, as well as an incredibly wide range of other programs.
    3) Tax software and full featured financial management software are much less available in Linux (I haven't found any that meet my needs).
    4) There is definitely a significant learning curve with Linux, but it is true that much forum help is available and it is fun to learn it!
    5) If you build a new dual boot system, be sure to research hardware and driver compatibility.
    6) I am not as sick of Windows as I used to be, since I no longer feel like a prisoner. Use it only when I need it.

Regards

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast