Thread: After clean install of Ubuntu 16.04, VeraCrypt and TrueCrypt are acting weird

Beans

After clean install of Ubuntu 16.04, VeraCrypt and TrueCrypt are acting weird

I've been a long time TrueCrypt user, and I understand that VeraCrypt is the updated version. I clean installed Ubuntu 16.04 this morning, and both of these programs now require that I disable the kernel cryptographic services in order to open my containers. Should I be worried? Do I need to install something else too?

If I don't disable the kernel cryptographic services, it gives me an error when I try to open the container. Says:

No such file or directory:
    dmsetup

VeraCrypt:rocess::Execute:88

Beans

Re: After clean install of Ubuntu 16.04, VeraCrypt and TrueCrypt are acting weird

sudo apt-get install dmsetup

will do it. dmsetup is now no standard application, so you must install it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: After clean install of Ubuntu 16.04, VeraCrypt and TrueCrypt are acting weird

Thanks for the tip, BeMueller. Once I installed dmsetup, truecrypt started working again just like it used to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Thank you, BeMueller. After installing dmsetup, truecrypt works like before.

Edit: Duplicate post when I didn't see my original one. I'd be happy to have it deleted.
    Last edited by entropy1; April 27th, 2016 at 04:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thank you. This got my Truecrypt working again. It would not open a valid encrypted partition but now it does.

Beans

Hi guys, I'm really sorry to bump this old thread but I'm still having an issue with VeraCrypt and Ubuntu-Gnome 16.04.1. I did a fresh install on a Surface Pro 3, ran apt-get install dmsetup and installed veracrypt. When I try to mount an encrypted container in VeraCrypt, it just gets stuck on the "Please wait" screen. I can't seem to find any logs or information to tell me where it's stuck so I can start troubleshooting. Were there any other steps required to get VeraCrypt working or was it simply just "install dmsetup". Any help would be greatly appreciated

Beans

Hey Thanks BeMueller. That worked. Thanks to other users here too who commented. Ubuntu community seems awesome. @BeMueller @entropy1

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BeMueller View Post
    sudo apt-get install dmsetup

will do it. dmsetup is now no standard application, so you must install it.
    Wow! This is great. Thanks for the help. Ubuntu needs to a loooooooooooooot in intracting with user. VeraCrypt provided not clear help about if I needed this "dmsetup".

Beans

Hi,
    still in 2018 an useful hint to install this mysterious missing "dmsetup"!
    Thanks.