Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brother scanner not detected in ubuntu 16.04

Beans

Brother scanner not detected in ubuntu 16.04

brother scanner no detected in ubuntu 16.04.Drivers from vendor installed,all configured and seem to be ok.But when trying to scan says scanner not detected. Neither usb nor network.System says everythink is ok but apps don't detect scanner.Any help please?

davidoff@baloo:~$ sudo dpkg -l | grep Brother
    [sudo] contrasenaya per a davidoff:
    ii brother-udev-rule-type1 1.0.0-1 all Brother udev rule type 1
    ii brscan3 0.2.13-1 amd64 Brother Scanner Driver
    ii printer-driver-brlaser 3-3build1 amd64 printer driver for (some) Brother laser printers
    ii printer-driver-ptouch 1.4-1 amd64 printer driver Brother P-touch label printers
    davidoff@baloo:~$ brsaneconfig3 -q | grep 9120
    27 "MFC-9120CN"
    0 9120 "MFC-9120CN" I:192.168.1.50
    davidoff@baloo:~$ ^C
    davidoff@baloo:~$
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Brother scanner not detected in ubuntu 16.04

Is this a new install of 16.04 or an upgrade?
    Check in usr/local/brother/sane in file brsanenetdevice3.cfg to make sure the address is the same. If your router somehow changed the address it is not always reflected in the config file and the applications will not find the scanner.

Beans

i's a new install,thanks

Beans

The adress of the scanner is static.,the file brsanetdevice3.cfg is DEVICE=9120 , "MFC-9120CN" , 0x4f9:0x21d , IP-ADDRESS=192.168.1.50 .The scanner is not detected by usb either.The printer works fine by net and by usb.Thanks for your reply

Beans
    Distro

I have the same issue with a Brother MFC-5490CN printer. Tried the Brother install tool, tried manually installing Brother software with Brother's instructions and tried using Scanner settings as set out by Brother (http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/li...rect=on#u13.04)
    Ubuntu 10.10, 11.4, 11.10, 12.04, 12.10, 13.04, 13.10
    1. Click here to download the file.(brother-udev-rule-type1-1.0.0-1.all.deb, ver.1.0.0-1, 2KB)
    2. Run the command.
    Command: dpkg -i brother-udev-rule-type1-1.0.0-1.all.deb
    They don't have updated instructions
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Dual Boot -Ubuntu 1804 Bionic Beaver with Cinnamon DE and Linux Mint 18 Sarah Cinnamon

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFreak View Post
    I have the same issue with a Brother MFC-5490CN printer. Tried the Brother install tool, tried manually installing Brother software with Brother's instructions and tried using Scanner settings as set out by Brother (http://support.brother.com/g/s/id/li...rect=on#u13.04)

They don't have updated instructions
    Yes, same issue here with a MFC-7840W. Loaded drivers and can print fine via network, as I have the printer installed on the network., but the scanner
    will not be recognized?

Thanks,
    John Feole

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Angry Re: Brother scanner not detected in ubuntu 16.04

Same problem here - always was able to find a solution in previous versions but not in 16.04.
    I have a brother MFC-240c which prints fine but somehow the scanner can't be accessed even though it is found with sane-find-scanner command.
    I have updated all the udev rules but still no success.
    Any support would be greatly appreciated.

Beans
    Distro

I sent an email to Brother telling about the issue and what I tried to do to install the scanner. Perhaps if enough people write to them they will update the drivers or install tool
    MB: Asrock Extreme4-M CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU @3.50GHz Memory: Corsair Low Profile Vengeance 16.00 GB. GC On CPU HD4000 Platform: x86_64 Distribution: Dual Boot -Ubuntu 1804 Bionic Beaver with Cinnamon DE and Linux Mint 18 Sarah Cinnamon

Beans
    Distro

I just finished reading all of the non-op problems posted on this page. I am running Xubuntu 16.04 and have a Brother laser MFC7360N, that's a black & white laser printer, scanner, fax, copier machine. I have not yet faxed anything, but all of the other functions work fine. I downloaded the drivers from the Brother support website, followed the instructions found on Brother's pages, and have experienced no problems.

I just now used Simple Scan to scan a document then print it out. I have never made any tweaks or mods - it all just worked. You all need to make sure you complete the setup in system-config-printer utility (that is what it is called in Xubuntu) correctly. If you don't, your system may not find the the device.
    Are you guys sure you are following the install instructions to the letter?

BTW, I have two other machines running Ubuntu 14.04 that use the same MFC7360N without any issues.
    Last edited by him610; April 26th, 2016 at 01:40 AM.
    Cheers,
    Software expands to consume available system resources.
    Be cautious, be vigilant, and beware of omnipresent Big Brother.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by him610 View Post
    I just finished reading all of the non-op problems posted on this page. I am running Xubuntu 16.04 and have a Brother laser MFC7360N, that's a black & white laser printer, scanner, fax, copier machine. I have not yet faxed anything, but all of the other functions work fine. I downloaded the drivers from the Brother support website, followed the instructions found on Brother's pages, and have experienced no problems.

I just now used Simple Scan to scan a document then print it out. I have never made any tweaks or mods - it all just worked. You all need to make sure you complete the setup in system-config-printer utility (that is what it is called in Xubuntu) correctly. If you don't, your system may not find the the device.
    Are you guys sure you are following the install instructions to the letter?

BTW, I have two other machines running Ubuntu 14.04 that use the same MFC7360N without any issues.
    I have installed Brother printer/scanner drivers on Ubuntu 10.10,12.04 and 14.04 this is the first time I couldn't get the scanner to work

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast