Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS won't resume after suspend/won't hybernate/log off

Beans

Ubuntu 16.04 LTS won't resume after suspend/won't hybernate/log off

There used to be a workaround with enabling suspending and hibernation, which worked for me at 14.04 LTS, but having cleanly installed 16.04 LTS I lost that, and now my computer won't come back from suspend.

I tried the tutorial listed here: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...-ubuntu-14-04/ to enable hibernation but running

sudo pm-hibernate

Leaves me with black screen and processor running, I cannot restore the system, I can only manually shut it down and run again.

Yet my SWAP is bigger than my RAM (8.5 GB).

So I cannot hibernate nor suspend (the latter I can, but the computer doesn't wake up until restarted).

Please help?

Using Lenovo z50-71, i5 laptop with ATI /Intel hybrid graphics.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS won't resume after suspend/won't hybernate/log off

There is a suspend problem with 16.04. I've had a problem with suspend on my laptop with the suspend with lid closed. It will continue to run until the time set for it to suspend. It doesn't suspend on lid close only on suspend on when in-active time. My work around has been selecting suspend before I close the lid. I've had many issues with this release. Non major, but still I'm surprised they release it with this many bugs. My computer is an HP Pavilion g series. I've not tried hibernate so have no comment.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans

OK thanks for the insight. Do you plan to do any workarounds? Since I'm pretty much inexperienced with bugs and their patches, does the Ubuntu team solve this through updates, i.e. when can we expect a solution?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dFlyer View Post
    There is a suspend problem with 16.04. I've had a problem with suspend on my laptop with the suspend with lid closed. It will continue to run until the time set for it to suspend. It doesn't suspend on lid close only on suspend on when in-active time. My work around has been selecting suspend before I close the lid. I've had many issues with this release. Non major, but still I'm surprised they release it with this many bugs. My computer is an HP Pavilion g series. I've not tried hibernate so have no comment.
    I've been a user since the first Ubuntu release in 05. 16.04 is showing me no compelling reasons to upgrade from 14.04 at this time after having tried the liveCD. Have never seen so little apparent difference between distros as in the last few years. By that I mean functional differences - am aware of the under the hood stuff like systemd, snap, Python 3.5 ( and likely broken library dependencies ), ZFS etc. but what a yawn. They look and feel the same.

Beans

I also have a problem with hibernation. 16.04 is the first desktop Ubuntu I'm planning to use permanently on my Lenovo G560 laptop. Hibernation used to work just fine in Windows 7, but whatever tricks I try I find on the net looking for solutions, nothing seems to work. It's pretty annoying since I can only choose between my battery depleted using standby or complete restart if I want to keep my workspace. Pretty much a repelling factor and makes me want to go back to Windows.

Same here guys, I'm using a dell inspiron

Beans

Angry Re: Ubuntu 16.04 LTS won't resume after suspend/won't hybernate/log off

I have the same issue. I tried letting the PC (Desktop PC, Core I7 on a Gigabyte board. NOT a laptop) suspend after setting the timeout to 5 minutes and waiting. After it suspended, I pressed a key on the keyboard and the box hummed back to life, but the monitors never woke up. Their lights stayed yellow. I finally had to hard-reboot.

Then I tried "sudo pm-hibernate" at the terminal and it hibernated fine. When I pushed the power button, it sprung back to life and the monitors woke up fine. This time though the wifi adapter (TP-Link TL-WN851ND) wouldn't reconnect to the network. When I tried to reconnect, the wifi icon pulsed for about a minute, then I got a message that I have been disconnected from the network.

Then I restarted the PC and the wifi worked again

I have the same issue with suspend as I do with hibernate.

I tried using my USB Alfa AWUS036NHA, but with it I get a message that my wifi has been disabled with a hardware switch. rfkill unblock all doesn't work to fix that. i have to do a hard-reboot in order to get the wifi interface back up.

I'm bailing on 16.04 and going back to 15.10 because it works. It appears that 16.04 has shipped with a ton of problems. It is irresponsible to ship an LTS product with this many problems. I may bail on Ubuntu altogether and go back to Open Suse. I actually need my computer to work and having to troubleshoot a ton of new problems with old, standard hardware and functionality is unacceptable.

Beans

I am also (sometimes) unable to reconnect to the wireless network after waking up from suspend but only when laptop is on battery (Lenovo G50-70).

My solution in this case is:

$ sudo rfkill block all
    $ sudo rfkill unblock all
    $ iwlist wlan0 scan

After the iwlist scan the wireless networks reconnects automatically.

Bye, Marin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

marin-purgar your solution is easily automated
    though mine was the monitor not turning on

put this bash script in your /etc/pm/sleep.d folder
    with a name like 15_wifiup NOTE the XX_ is needed where the XX is the highest number in the folder to insure it runs last

NOTE check the paths to rfkill and iwlist, these are usually the path but some distros may move them

once in place every time you come out of suspend it will run

#!/bin/bash

case "$1" in
    suspend | hibernate)
    # executed on suspend
    ;;
    resume | thaw)
    # executed on resume
    /usr/sbin/rfkill block all
    /usr/sbin/rfkill unblock all
    /sbin/iwlist wlan0 scan
    ;;
    *)
    ;;
    esac

Beans

THANK YOU for your Expert Opinion. I'm bailing back too. This is not ready yet.
    Last edited by mbrandt74; June 18th, 2016 at 10:15 PM. Reason: Compaq Presario

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast