Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lubuntu 16.04 and the i915 Driver

Beans

Re: Lubuntu 16.04 and the i915 Driver

Yes my computer uses the i915 driver. It starts up until the display of the choice window between "Try without installing" and "Install". When I choose Try, I have a black screen with a blinking cursor in the top left corner and that's all.

Beans

I found a way to install Lubuntu 16.04 with Intel graphic controller !!

Actually, the driver xserver-xorg-video-intel is not installed by Lubuntu. Source = https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...a/+bug/1575460

So, we can run the installation normally after a boot from LiveCD/USB. After the first reboot, we have a black screen. At this time, open a terminal (Ctrl+Alt+F1) and run sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel.
    After that, reboot and now it's ok. The system boots normally.

Beans

@tos3-I will try your suggestion! Thank you! The last time I tried Ctrl+Alt+F1 I got a reboot so I will try and open a terminal. I might try and go into Recovery Mode and attempt to install via the Command Line in Recovery if Ctrl+Alt+F1 doesn't work.

Beans

@tos3-Good job! I would recommend that you post your solution in a separate thread. However, the Font Rendering is horrific, especially with LXDE and the Start Menu. I am attempting to utilize Infinality, however I am not sure how to tweak it. I am able to utilize the Ubuntu Style, yet I am not able to implement any other style. Is there any way to make the Start Menu Fonts crisp and clear and somewhat bold like they were in 14.04?

Also I might attempt to install upstart-sysv and remove systemd-sysv. I do not know if that will help but it might.

I was able to install the Driver via Recovery Mode. Ctrl+Alt+F1 kept giving me a reboot rather than a Terminal. I also had to cold reboot in order to initialize the Driver. You are correct, the Intel Driver does not install automatically.

Thank you again for your fix!

Beans

Can you give a /var/log/Xorg.0.log so we can see where you are at?

Beans

I am not sure how to access the log. Can you please give the instructions?

Also upstart does not work with Lubuntu 16.04. Not in any way, shape or form. I tried every fix, every tweak, everything.

Further, there are continual issues with updating, scanning for updates and some minor Desktop freezes. Infinality helped a little bit with Font Rendering. Yet the Font clarity and sharpness within 14.04 is above and beyond 16.04 by miles and miles.

Lubuntu should just stick with a Kernel that works well with Lubuntu, such as the 3.13 Series.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by roler2 View Post
    I am not sure how to access the log. Can you please give the instructions?
    Just open it up in a text editor and copy/paste. Use [ code ][ /code ] tags (no spaces in between brackets) as it's a lot of text. I don't know what text editor Lubuntu uses (maybe leafpad?).
    Code:
    leafpad /var/log/Xorg.0.log

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12