View Poll Results: Share with us your Xenial (16.04) Upgrade & Installation Experiences

Voters
71. You may not vote on this poll
  • Upgrade - worked flawlessly.

8 11.27%
  • Upgrade - worked but had a few things to fix, nothing serious though.

9 12.68%
  • Upgrade - had many problems that I've not been able to solve.

8 11.27%
  • Install - worked flawlessly.

17 23.94%
  • Install - worked but had a few things to fix.

18 25.35%
  • Install - had many problems that I have not been able to solve.

11 15.49%
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Share with us your Xenial (16.04) Upgrade and Installation Experiences

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Share with us your Xenial (16.04) Upgrade and Installation Experiences

Works great on my System76 Lemur. I have done a clean install with each release since version 14.10. Ubuntu 16.04 release has been great so far. The only issue I have seen is when I launch libreoffice --calc from the terminal window. I get the following warning:

"(soffice:8732): Gdk-WARNING **: gdk_window_set_icon_list: icons too large"

I have looked into this warning and not been able to solve it. Did not get these warnings with version 15.10 and earlier. I do keep my system updated with the "sudo apt-get update/upgrade". Just in hopes that it will get fixed with updates/upgrades. This warning is not the end of the world just a slight annoyance.

I use the following Apps/Software:
    Chromium Web Browser
    Firefox Web Browser
    Thunderbird Mail
    FileZilla
    LibreOffice
    Terminal (Heavy usage here)
    nedit (Heavy usage here. Create Bash & Python scripts.)

I used to be a 100% windows user but over the last 5 years I am 75% Linux and 25% windows.

Happy scripting in Ubuntu everyone!!!
    Last edited by DragonBoy; July 20th, 2016 at 04:56 AM.

Beans

I run two Ubuntu systems. This one is a laptop, dual-boot with Win10 (previously 14.04LTS / Win7). I repartitioned the disk and did a clean install. No real issues. I'd saved an image of the disk before that, so I could retrieve stuff from ~, such as ssh keys (not something you want to have to retype!)

The other one is a broken old crock of a machine; its main purpose in life is to run Apache httpd to serve a couple of low-volume sites. It has been running on 14.04LTS more or less headless. There is a multitail running on tty1, tailing a few log files. Anything more I want to do on it, I ssh in from one of my other machines.
    Yesterday I bit the bullet and ran the release update to 16.04LTS. Most things survived, but there is one annoying issue. Essentially, the ssh service crashes when I terminate a session, which makes it a bit of a pain to manage.

UPDATE: I tracked down the sshd issue. For some reason best known to whoever did it (not me!), there was an /etc/default/ssh containing a line
    SSHD_OPTS='-d' which makes sshd start in debug mode. The other outstanding issue is that the auto-login on tty1 has stopped working. I previously had, as the last line of /etc/init/tty1.conf the following
    exec /bin/login -f logs < /dev/tty1 > /dev/tty1 2>&1
    That no longer works, and neither does
    exec /sbin/getty -8 -a logs 38400 tty1logs is of course the username for the multitail.
    Last edited by Peter_Horn; August 10th, 2016 at 09:09 AM. Reason: update

Beans

Fresh Install: Flawless

Upgrade: Flawless

Canonical did an outstanding job with this release! I can't wait for 16.10! I hope Unity 8 is ready by then.

Beans

Installed beside Windows 8.1, and updated everyday.
    Had some minor features missing, hotkeys,but still great and fast, as usual .

Beans

I tried to upgrade from 14.04 following prompts on my System 76 Galago Ultrapro. The installation stalled for over an hour so I shut it down thinking it would reboot normally but it booted in 16.04 in terminal. Not sure what happened so I downloaded the iso version using another machine and loaded 16.04 beside the other version and my hard drive is nearly full. So I suppose will now try to retrieve files in terminal mode and reload from the iso file.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

#3rd upgrade via online process on a System 76 Galago Ultra Pro laptop. . no issues. Fastest update yet (about 40 minutes in total). Having a PC with Linux pre-installed makes upgrades and installs a piece of cake (easy). It also helps that I have a non-UEFI BIOS.

How Ironic . . . I just saw "johnnyzee's" post #45 above. OK, simple reason that upgrade didn't install . . Never shut down an upgrade of ANY type before done. You don't have to get your files via terminal commands (although you can). Just load a live (try) version of ubuntu or a dedicated "rescue live os" like Parted Magic.

For upgrades to process with a higher chance of 100% success, you have to try and make sure your system is as "vanilla" or pristine as possible. That simply means no 3rd party PPA's enabled (including System76 drivers PPA). I also recommend uninstalling any VM's you might have on the system, or complex proprietary apps like Skype. The upgrade algorithms can't cover all these possibilities (including EULA's, etc.). Sometimes the install is not actually hung . . . but there is a EULA window underneath the installer window waiting for user action (as in the case of MS-fonts).

Also, be 100% sure of your internet connection. Wireless is fine (my upgrades have all been via wireless networks), but ethernet is even better.

Now, best option in a case like Johnny Zee's is to get all key data offloaded to usb flash stick or cloud, then create a 16.04.1 usb bootable flashstick. I recommend Etcher for that task. Then do a full re-install using the full drive. Should take about 30 - 45 minutes.
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; August 14th, 2016 at 12:52 AM. Reason: corrections
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans

Hi,

I've been off and on with Linux since about 2008. I needed to keep learning Windows to use it at work, but have been growing steadily disaffected with Microsoft, against my desires, since then. Windows-as-a-Service, especially the Anniversary Edition turning the Pro version too much like the Home version, was the last straw.

About six months ago, I tried to dual-boot install Ubuntu 14.04.3 on my Dell Latitude E6540 laptop. Upgraded to 16.04 and it went to sleep. Never woke up. Had to delete the partitions and stay with Windows 10.

Tried again about two weeks ago and the developers had fixed the kernel problems with Haswell Intel graphics and 16.04.3 works perfectly. Even got a slightly older Windows version of Evernote running with PlayOnLinux! Quietly stunned that everything works as well as it did.

Realized I could setup a small Windows 7 PC with QuickBooks Pro 2013 running on it and remote in. That one program was the reason I didn't switch years earlier; figuring out that solution saved me $300 a year.

Once I had everything setup the way I wanted to, blew away my Windows partitions and switched from Google Drive to MEGA, I blew everything away again a week later and reinstalled with manual partitioning the way I wanted to. (Ubiquity uses logical partitions with an automatic install, even with a GPT disk, and I wanted primary partitions.)
    Last edited by sgtaylor5; August 14th, 2016 at 04:41 AM. Reason: added last paragraph.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

This was probably the most difficult Linux install I have done in quite a while. The installer had a hard time with my Hard Drives, but in the end it worked out. I must have gotten half a dozen errors. Read write errors, partition issues (even when using GPT ) Very frustrating.I ended up installing on a different drive, and using clonezilla to copy it onto my primary. This worked no problem.

Beans

First attempt of a clean install was on the day 16.04 was released, and it was a failure - I think it was because the installer didn't like the size of the efi partition. (I always manually partition before the install, because the installer can't partition exactly the way I want. I know, it's the OCD kicking in.)

Second attempt, after I repartitoned, was flawless. Just last week I got a Samsung 950 Pro, so I did a third clean install with 16.04.1, and it was flawless, too. One thing that I keep forgetting how to do is to install Korean input support, but eventually I got it.

Hopefully I'll stick with this install for a while. (Not touching Yakkety Yak, as it is not LTS.)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Fresh Install: Flawless

Rebooted and noticed Kubuntu is now so SLOW.

Video/display problems - https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2340444

Mount problems - https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2340456
    Last edited by oygle; October 19th, 2016 at 02:48 AM. Reason: more problems :(

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast