Thread: Force Squid web traffic through OpenVPN

Beans

Question Force Squid web traffic through OpenVPN

I have an OpenVPN server setup at an external site and a Squid Proxy server setup at home.

I'm trying to force all web traffic from Squid through an OpenVPN connection.

The reasoning behind this is to allow clients to conceal their identities behind the OpenVPN server's public IP without necessarily requiring them to setup an OpenVPN connection. This also allows simpler devices which are not OpenVPN/VPN capable to use some form of anonymity.

I've considered an obviously simpler method which would be to setup proxying on the external server but I'm trying to maximize security and I don't think a public Squid proxy is as secure as an OpenVPN server with 4096 bit DH, 256-AES and SHA-512 and certificates required for authentication.

I know the solution is probably very simple but please bare with me as I'm still fairly new to Linux servers.

Let's assume that the home Squid server IP is x.x.x.x/x and the external OpenVPN server IP is y.y.y.y/y for the purpose of this discussion.

Thank you!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Force Squid web traffic through OpenVPN

Moved to the Networking & Wireless sub-forum

Beans

Exclamation Re: Force Squid web traffic through OpenVPN

Bump