Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Can no longer connect to windows shared folder after software update ubuntu 15.10

Beans

Re: Can no longer connect to windows shared folder after software update ubuntu 15.10

No one?? Has anybody found a fix?

Beans

Re: Can no longer connect to windows shared folder after software update ubuntu 15.10

Try to re-share the folder !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Taz8du29 View Post
    Try to re-share the folder !
    I don't think that would work. The problem is that an Ubuntu client can't connect to other samba servers (running windows).

Beans

Very interesting with similar results using end to end Wireshark listening... The computers can communicate briefly then there is something that borks the process even though I have been granted access and can view the target computer file structure that I'm granted access and permissions to. It's almost like the Time To Live (TTL) connection allowance has been reduced to nearly nothing. Please note that I'm in no way an expert on this issue and I'm seeking guidance just like the other folk here.

EDIT: I really should have saved those Wireshark dives, perhaps someone with more experience could have used them to identify the problem and help out the community more quickly. =+S
    Last edited by cheawick; April 22nd, 2016 at 06:31 AM.

Beans

Use cifs to mount the share until Samba figures out what it did wrong or someone comes up with a reliable work around:

[1] Make sure a package is installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
    [2] Create a mount point for the Windows share:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/WinShare
    [3] Then do a temporary mount:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //server-name/share-name /media/WinShare -o guest,uid=1000
    If you are successful I can show you how to automate this process so you don't have to use the terminal/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Morbius1 View Post
    Use cifs to mount the share until Samba figures out what it did wrong or someone comes up with a reliable work around:

[1] Make sure a package is installed:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install cifs-utils
    [2] Create a mount point for the Windows share:
    Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/WinShare
    [3] Then do a temporary mount:
    Code:
    sudo mount -t cifs //server-name/share-name /media/WinShare -o guest,uid=1000
    If you are successful I can show you how to automate this process so you don't have to use the terminal/
    YES! Thanks a lot! That works a dream. My share-name had spaces, so I put the whole address in single quotes and it mounted it instantly!

I can now patiently wait for the samba bug fix

Beans

Doesn't really work for me...

I have a Samba server running as a DC for an entire network....I have roaming profiles setup and the whole ball of wax....I need a patch or I'll have to scrap this DC, install the old version from scratch, and then re-authenticate all the workstations...

I'm in dire straights....

What do they need from me to help fix it?

Beans

That's above my pay grade I'm afraid. You can add your "me too" to the ubuntu bug report if you want: Samba Domain Member cannot check passwords against Samba AD DC after "Badlock" update

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Well at least there's misery in company. I noticed this when I had 15.10 and figured since it was broke then I'd just do a fresh install of 16.04. Now I see its also broken in 16.04. Looking forward to the fix!

Looks like samba is borked all over. This seems to be the primary bugzilla bug https://bugzilla.samba.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11841
    Last edited by davehenson; April 24th, 2016 at 05:13 AM.

Beans

Found a fix. Reinstalled ubuntu 15.10 from scratch and turned off software updates. Both in the installation and after. Works like a charm. Just seems kind of stupid, no offense developers, to do software updates which deminishes the possibilities of the system. And furthermore release a new version 16.04 where the problem has not been rectified... Besides that, I really like Ubuntu...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast