Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptop refuses to sleep with closed lid and to properly wake up

Beans

Laptop refuses to sleep with closed lid and to properly wake up

Hello,

I installed ubuntu 14.04 on an old Toshiba. I have two problems that could possibly be linked. I tried to fix them separately with no luck and I am running out of ideas.

The first issue is that when I close the lid, nothing happens. The computer stays on. I checked logind.conf and found
    HibernateLidSwitch=suspend
    If needed I can cp the rest of the logind content.

The second one seems odd. When the computer sleeps, sometimes it wakes up just fine, and sometimes it wakes up with a black screen. When the screen is black the fan is on, the LED, that is orange when the computer is asleep, is green, but I can't get the computer to reboot through the terminal, meaning it probably freezes.

It is a fresh install, ubuntu 14.04, kernel 4.2.0-35generic, processor AMD Sempron(tm) SI-42, graphic card AMD/ATI RS780MC Mobility Radeon HD 3100. I installed Lubuntu 14.04 kernel 3.13.0-24-generic, with the same issues, and came back to ubuntu.

Thanks for any help you could bring, I can provide any other information if needed.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Laptop refuses to sleep with closed lid and to properly wake up

Have you tried 16.04?
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

No I didn't, the computer being old I supposed 14.04 was the newer version it could run and didn't even tried the 16.04. I will install it today, I let you know if anything changes. Thanks for the idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Good.
    As you mention yourself it's only an idea, not a promise that it will work.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

I installed Ubuntu 16.04 beta2 and nothing changed, the problem remains the same.

The more I read about similar problems the more I think it is linked with the ATI graphic card. I tried to install proprietary drivers (even if unadvised everywhere, the graphic card being very old). I didn't find a way to properly install it. I forced the installation of a legacy driver, an AMD dialogue poped up to tell me both "installation successful" and "some errors occured...". Among these errors it was written that the hardware acceleration hasn't been installed. And finally Ubuntu doesn't start anymore, stuck on the purple page. I tried with both 14.04 and 16.04.

Maybe a solution would be to find proper drivers, but I start to doubt they exist. I could as well try another distro, but the only linux I ever had was ubuntu, I have no idea by what to start.

Edit: double post
    Last edited by howefield; April 16th, 2016 at 04:26 PM. Reason: posts combined.

Beans

Nobody has an idea ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Just to let ya know, I'm on a fresh install of 16.04 and have suspend problem. To make it short, suspend works with the timeout period, with the suspend from the main menu, but not with the close lid. On close lid it wait for the time out period. I'm on an hp and never had any suspend problems with 14.04.
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans

I know on some flavors you can choose what will happen when the lid is closed.

I'm not having issues here so far.

What flavor are you using so I may try it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

16.04 LTS Unity
    Gary
    Linux since 1995, Ubuntu since 2006

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dFlyer View Post
    16.04 LTS Unity
    Hi,

Just tried Unity 16.04 with suspend by closing the laptop lid with no issues.

Took a snapshot of my settings.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast