Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 16.04 LTS Reviews

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

16.04 LTS Reviews

Has anyone downloaded and tried out the new LTS? I've been running 14.04 and I'm curious if I should upgrade.

Beans

Re: 16.04 LTS Reviews

Hello,

I tried the beta 2 of Ubuntu and Ubuntu Gnome. And it convainced me to get back from Mint to Ubuntu after 3 years (Althought I´m opting for Gnome)
    You can just create a bootable USB and try it out

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is a section set aside for discussion of the next release of Ubuntu during its development period. In the Ubuntu Development Version section of this forum some of us have been sharing our experiences with 16.04 since development started at the end of October last year. Check out the threads in that section of the forum.

Regards
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

If 14.04 LTS is working fine, why upgrade? You can upgrade anytime until 2019. The official upgrade route to 16.04 LTS via a net upgrade will not be available until the first point release about six months after release in about ten days, although you can get there via a terminal anytime.

I'd wait til at least a few months after release. I normally do (but this time I have been testing 16.04 LTS on spare partitions on a couple of machines). Not a good idea to be using 16.04 LTS as your stable, day-to-day, ONLY OS at this point. Even though it's running fine for most of us, there are glitches and bugs and the next update/upgrade could bring something crashing down.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it" has always been my motto, when it comes to moving to the next LTS.

I usually wait for a few months after release before upgrading, as by then any bugs of consequence should have been squashed.
    However, having said that, I've been running 16.04 since it started in Oct. last year, and in general it has been a very smooth ride using both Ubuntu and Xubuntu, both of them as VirtualBox installations.

Your choice; if you have very new up-to-date hardware, it is possible that you might get better support with 16.04 than you do with 14.04, but it is impossible for us to know.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Xubuntu 16.04 beta is installed on one system. Ubuntu 16.04, daily build from April 6, is installed on another system. I have booted into three other systems using a USB thumb drive with Ubuntu 16.04. I use the Xubuntu 16.04 system daily, and like what I see. I have encountered no noticeable problems to date. The developers have done a good job.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Installed 16.04 Ubuntu 86_64 on bare metal and all is working very well. I would say its smoother then 14.04 and seems a "little lighter" on CPU and Mem. Keep in mind this is not a new pc....it is either 5 or 6 years old bought as an off lease business pc. HP AMD Athlon II 800mghz, 8GB RAM. Nothing fancy. Also for what its worth, this review is from a Slacker, aka Slackware, user.

Beans

I have installed 16.04 on a third drive, and unplugged the 14.04 drive when I installed from thumb drive. I later plugged in the windows 7 drive, did update-grub--it flawlessly found windows and dual boot that way isn't an issue. So far all I've managed to do is break Unity using the unity-tweak-tool (I set icons to default and lost taskbar, icons, dash, and even all keyboard shortcuts except tty access). I tried so many fixes to get Unity back without success, but I installed gnome-desktop and that so far has worked perfectly. I miss Unity's features so I don't plan on keeping this install but I've been using it for three weeks and updating with no issues except the "weak hash" message when updating apt sources such as dropbox. I will likely do another clean install in a couple of weeks and probably do a disk image backup before I touch unity-tweak tool again. Also noted, this 16.04 seems lighter, have not had a stability issue, and seems to find bluetooth devices better than on 14.04.x . The sound menu seems to lack some (it detects my onboard sound differently) and I have not been able to use one of my analog outputs, but instead line-out seems actively detected--and works ok on amplified speakers. I still consider this not a necessity to upgrade over Trusty unless I have to have the newer kernel or the new Unity features are a must-have.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 20.04 Focal Fossa

I am running a highly customized version of xubuntu 16.04 on 4 machines and its very solid. One system, my desktop, is used for web development. It is loaded with applications. Everything works. However, I have the LAMP package installed and just yesterday it gave me some problems with a package name change.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kengordo View Post
    ... I've been using it for three weeks and updating with no issues except the "weak hash" message when updating apt sources such as dropbox. ...
    What does the part in bold mean?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast