Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Ubuntu or Mint?

Beans

Re: Ubuntu or Mint?

Ubuntu, its a close layout to Windows when it comes to desktop and folder placement.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by brandon48 View Post
    Ubuntu, its a close layout to Windows when it comes to desktop and folder placement.
    Ubuntu's Unity is nothing like the Windows desktop environment, from what I can see ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    ... The solution is to kill XFWM and use a window manger like Compton (smooth as butter) ...
    Isn't Compton a compositor and not a window manager? Doesn't it have to be used in conjunction with a window manager?
    Compton is a standalone composite manager, suitable for use with window managers that do not natively provide compositing functionality.
    Source: https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Compton

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ray42 View Post
    Hi All

Newbie here. Windows 7 user. Want to swap to Linux but not sure which desktop environment to choose. Why should I choose Ubuntu over Mint. I do want all the support and flexibility that is possible to have. Also I want the desktop to look and behave like windows 7. Is there a comparison list between different distros?

I'm intermediate user so I'm sure with time I can get used to the different way of working.

Regards

Ray
    Having adopted Ubuntu for my primary OS for about 4 years I still use Win 7 for some tasks. I am now testing Ubuntu Mate 16 - which I find the easiest for me to configure the desktop environment to my liking. I have chosen to stay with an officially supported Ubuntu flavor because I prefer the LTS versions supplying 5 years support. I am waiting to fully adopt Ubuntu Mate 16 until the release date [ April 21 ] ... until then I maintain 14.04 LTS.

If you're still in the investigating stage I suggest examining Ubuntu Mate.

Additionally I strongly suggest examining the tasks that you absolutely must have and finding an acceptable Linux solution prior to switching 100%. After 4 years I still use Windows for some tasks.
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty | Mate 16.04
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | MATE 16.04 + Win 7
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by pfeiffep View Post
    Having adopted Ubuntu for my primary OS for about 4 years I still use Win 7 for some tasks. I am now testing Ubuntu Mate 16 - which I find the easiest for me to configure the desktop environment to my liking. I have chosen to stay with an officially supported Ubuntu flavor because I prefer the LTS versions supplying 5 years support. I am waiting to fully adopt Ubuntu Mate 16 until the release date [ April 21 ] ... until then I maintain 14.04 LTS.

If you're still in the investigating stage I suggest examining Ubuntu Mate.

Additionally I strongly suggest examining the tasks that you absolutely must have and finding an acceptable Linux solution prior to switching 100%. After 4 years I still use Windows for some tasks.

Yes I have been focusing on Ubuntu Mate, I still prefer the styling of Mint Mate. Perhaps I can adjust and get as close to that in terms of looks. I updated Firefox, then wiped USB stick and started again, did this a number of times due to firefox becoming ridiculously slow. I tried updating all updates that also did the same.

More learning I guess.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234