Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: black on black tooltip in applications

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

black on black tooltip in applications

How can I correct black characters on a black background in applications' tooltips. I found the solution for the desktop with the following code, placed in my .gtkrc-2.0 file, and this works. But I still get some applications like Firefox with the same problem. I was sure that tooltips are control by xfce and not by an application.

Code:
    style "custom-tooltip"
    {
      bg[NORMAL] = "#000000"
      fg[NORMAL] = "#ffffff"
    }
    widget "gtk-tooltips" style "custom-tooltip"
    Last edited by ineuw; March 31st, 2016 at 09:08 PM.

Beans

Re: black on black tooltip in applications

In Greybird I have equal settings in these locations that match the tooltip colors. Did you check both places for your theme? But, I believe some applications might override these.

/usr/share/themes/Greybird/gtk-2.0/gtkrc contains:
    Code:
    gtk-color-scheme	= "tooltip_bg_color:#000000\ntooltip_fg_color:#E1E1E1" # Tooltips
    /usr/share/themes/Greybird/gtk-3.0/gtk.css contains:
    Code:
    @define-color tooltip_bg_color #000;
    @define-color tooltip_fg_color #e1e1e1;
    Last edited by Dennis N; March 31st, 2016 at 10:13 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks Dennis N. I found them and changed both fg (#e1e1e1; ) to #ffffff; just to see if it works, but there is no change. The culprit is Firefox but Thunderbird is as defined. I posted a similar post in Mozillazine, and now will look for myself in about:config. Thanks again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ineuw View Post
    ... But I still get some applications like Firefox with the same problem. ...
    Firefox 45 has more than one type of tooltip. I have the following and I'm not claiming the list is complete:
    • #main-window > tooltip
    • #tabbrowser-tab-tooltip
    • #aHTMLTooltip
    • #bhTooltip

I will revisit Firefox's tooltips after I move to 16.04 because by then Firefox will (probably) be using gtk3 and not gtk2. (Even now, Firefox 46 (beta) uses gtk3 but my gtk3 is version 3.10 and 16.04 will bring in gtk 3.18.)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1;[*
    #main-window > tooltip
    [*]#tabbrowser-tab-tooltip
    [*]#aHTMLTooltip
    [*]#bhTooltip
    Thanks vasa1, you gave me plenty of food for thought. Where are those FF tooltips you mentioned?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ineuw View Post
    Thanks vasa1, you gave me plenty of food for thought. Where are those FF tooltips you mentioned?
    I have them in a Stylish sheet. Stylish is an extension for Firefox (and some other browsers) that allows you to customize the appearance of various aspects of Firefox. One could also write styles directly in userContent.css and userChrome.css but using Stylish allows you to see the effect without having to restart Firefox.

Stylish has its support webpage at userstyles.org and a forum as well at forum.userstyles.org.

With that as background, here's part of a stylesheet I have to show the various tooltips:

Code:
    /* AGENT_SHEET */ 

@namespace xul url(http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul);

#main-window > tooltip { color: #777777 !important }
    #tabbrowser-tab-tooltip { color: #777777 !important }
    #aHTMLTooltip { color: #01080F !important; background-color: red !important; }/*  post summary on UF pages; background-color doesn't work; seems to be set in gtkrc */
    #bhTooltip { color: #777777 !important; border: none !important; } /* text color on hover over items in bookmark bar*/
    I too use Greybird, modified somewhat, as my gtk2 theme. In there, I have:
    Code:
    gtk_color_scheme	= "tooltip_bg_color:#333333\ntooltip_fg_color:#888888" # Tooltips.
    As I said, I don't want to spend more time on customizing Firefox's appearance because it will become a gtk3 app in version 46 and something may change

Beans

I found them and changed both fg (#e1e1e1; ) to #ffffff; just to see if it works, but there is no change.
    You might not be noticing the change - e1e1e1 is an off-white and very close to FFFFFF. To see if and how those theme settings affected Firefox, I changed mine in both places mentioned, to F1E569 (light-yellow) and Firefox tool tips changed text color immediately. I only see the one tool tip text color on FF tabs, FF links, FF toolbar and in the FF main window, so I suspect the default on FF tool tips is to use same colors for all. The XFCE panel will not change until you log out and log in, but it picks up the same text color for tool tips.

I like the yellow. Think I will leave it so.
    Last edited by Dennis N; April 1st, 2016 at 04:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Thanks to both of you for the info. I was aware that there is not much difference between the two whites, but nothing changed. Still black on black, so I will check the userContent.css because adding to userChrome.css didn't do anything.

Beans

You did not mention which theme you are using. Perhaps one of us could try that theme, confirm your observations, and possibly find a fix.

Beans
    Distro

Apologies, I am using Greybird, which I believe is the default setting.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast