Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu on Windows 10

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Ubuntu on Windows 10

http://blog.dustinkirkland.com/2016/...n-windows.html

Whatever next! Were rumours of this project the source of rumours of Microsoft buying Canonical?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Re: Ubuntu on Windows 10

I don't know what to say. I don't even know which emoticon is appropriate. If true, that would remove my puzzlement over why the Canonical version of LibreOffice doesn't appear to have "certain" fonts.

Beans

It makes me feel uneasy, I'm not really sure why. I guess I just don't trust Microsoft's motives about all this open source stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Ubuntu bash in Windows store

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/Develo...Windows10.aspx

Today at BUILD in the Day One keynote Kevin Gallo announced that you can now run "Bash on Ubuntu on Windows." This is a new developer feature included in a Windows 10 "Anniversary" update (coming soon). It lets you run native user-mode Linux shells and command-line tools unchanged, on Windows. After turning on Developer Mode in Windows Settings and adding the Feature, run you bash and are prompted to get Ubuntu on Windows from Canonical via the Windows Store
    edit: grahammechanical beat me to it: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2318965
    Last edited by bashiergui; March 31st, 2016 at 04:32 AM.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It's not April 1 yet, right?

This must be Ubuntu's version of cygwin. I can't figure out how it would be done technically.
    Knock knock.
    Race condition.
    Who's there?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Merged two similar threads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

I see it as boon to Ubuntu and I guess Linux in general.

The communities might, want to brace themselves for a bunch of newbs asking questions.

As far as fearing it individually, I am sure there will be lots of distros that will shun this due to philosophical Floss principles.

Linux is still open-source and will continue to survive even if, Microsoft wants to lay down and marry it.
    One Psychiatrist's Definition of Insanity: Knowing what one should do and doing differently.

Beans

I don't like it.

At all.

I also don't care if that's regarded by some as an overreaction.

Form what i have read, thus far, this will run Ubuntu Linux inside MS Windows. It wont be a virtual Linux, it will be an actual Ubuntu Linux running inside MS Windows due to Microsoft having recently and quietly introduced Linux subsystems in a new Windows 10 Redstone build.

My first thoughts are that this is just another way in which Cannonical are trying to monetise Ubuntu. That, in itself, does not cause me any intrinsic concerns since there are plenty of Linux distros whose philosophy is strictly the opposite of that. It's why I left Ubuntu with the advent of Unity and all of the Amazon nonsense and it is why I came back with the rebirth of Gnome 2 via Ubuntu Mate, as well as Canonical ditching the default Amazon stuff.

However, by throwing their lot in with Microsoft, Cannonical are basically acting as scabs (an old British term used to describe when some workers continued to go into work when all of their comrades were out on strike, thus weakening the strike) on the rest of the entire Linux eco-system. By allowing Microsoft to gain access to and so provide to their own customers under their own MS brand, all of the Linux world, they get all of the long term benefits.

This will do to the Linux world, potentially, what was done to the Liberal Democrats when they teamed up with the Tories. Short term gains for Cannonical will be overwhelmed by long term losses to the Linux eco-system. In short, this is a very bad thing for the wider Linux world.

If this really is what, on first reading, it appears to be, I am leaving Ubuntu and this time it will for good. I hope I am wrong on this and will be the first to admit it if so. But, the above is my understanding so far.
    Last edited by stevecook; March 31st, 2016 at 12:42 PM. Reason: removed the obfuscation

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bashiergui View Post
    It's not April 1 yet, right?

This must be Ubuntu's version of cygwin. I can't figure out how it would be done technically.
    It's not a Cygwin-like approach. Seems to translate Linux system calls to equivalent Windows calls, more than a bit like WINE does.

There are developers who use both Windows and Linux tools, or who want/need to. I.e, run Windows development tools on Windows that "talk" to Linux back ends, for eventual deployment to, say, Azure. I think Microsoft hopes this will be cleaner, hence, more attractive, than a VM. Think corporate developers who have to use Windows but who are paid to build things that run on the Linux servers their corporation depends on.

Sustaining a developer community is important to companies like Microsoft an Apple because they need independent developers and vendors to push apps and other software for the increasingly closed ecologies those corporations are betting their futures on. This move is an effort to keep those folks working on Windows. It's really something of an acknowledgement of the role Linux plays.

E.g., MS also talked about bots and an expanded Cortana yesterday, and showed off a bot apparently jumping into a Twitter chat and making hotel reservations. For that kind of world to happen, Microsoft needs people to build bots, etc., and the back ends that make them possible, on all kinds of platforms. For example,selling this kind of tech to hotel chains that run their reservation systems on Linux.
    Last edited by buzzingrobot; March 31st, 2016 at 01:14 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by stevecook View Post
    By allowing Microsoft to gain access....
    Since Linux is open source, I think Microsoft could have easily done this without Canonical's cooperation or involvement.

That they did secure Canonical's involvement seems to me a rather explicit acknowledgement that Linux is a serious player for Microsoft's customers and that Microsoft has decided to accommodate those customers, rather than follow the Ballmeresque fantasy that everyone will use Windows for everything.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast