Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Uninstalling lubuntu

Beans

Re: Uninstalling lubuntu

Why be so aggressive VT Poet??

You say 'I don't think you tried very hard to solve your installations problems'.

How on earth do you know that? FYI I spent hours trying and failing to resolve the trackpad issue. And as I keep saying not everyone has in depth knowledge of fault finding in Linux.

But go on, enlighten me. How do I get the trackpad working on LUBUNTU (note not Ubuntu). Please give full instructions and I shall try yet again.

I challenge you to come up with a set of instructions that will work on my HP Stream 11".

You seem very confident that I haven't made any effort to resolve this problem. Presumably you can readily resolve it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Can you show the output of
    sudo gedit /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/50-synaptics.conf

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

And while you're at it:

Code:
    inxi -F
    If you don't have it, then:

Code:
    sudo apt install inxi

Beans

HA!!! I notice that after accusing me of not trying to find a solution you are totally unable to help me with solving the trackpad problem!!

Beans

VTPoet. Can you please not join in this thread.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robartist View Post
    VTPoet. Can you please not join in this thread.
    Please desist in telling others where they can and cannot post.

Posting in a public forum means that you get to see responses that you might not agree with or like, that's the way it goes. Anything that falls outside of the forum Code of Conduct can be reported.

Beans

I thought these forums were to help people. I personally found VTPoets reply unhelpful and didn't like the tone of the reply. It seemed unnecessary to treat me, a newbie, like that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by robartist View Post
    I thought these forums were to help people. I personally found VTPoets reply unhelpful and didn't like the tone of the reply. It seemed unnecessary to treat me, a newbie, like that.
    You should go back and read your own first post with an impartial frame of mind. It didn't make me want to help. Whether I could or not is another matter.

Beans

vasa not sure what you mean. I tried to use lubuntu and failed. Then went on to say that Linux is great but would be even greater if it was easy to install - a fair point. Certainly not aggressive. I didn't have anyone to be aggressive to.

But anyway. Some people seem to think that ubuntu works ok on the hp stream 11.

As mentioned above I can't get it going for a different reason. Can you help?

Beans

Can we relax a bit?

This forum is for support, but rather than a paid staff you get a bunch of other regular (maybe some not-so-regular) people who use Ubuntu of some flavor.

@robartist,

IMO Ubuntu is one of the easiest operating systems to install, from any vendor. Obviously your experience differs.

I think very few people who call themselves Windows experts have actually installed the full licensed Microsoft Windows, from a purchased box or from a Microsoft.com download, from scratch on a disk that never contained Windows. Most people buy a PC with Windows already on it. They upgrade it with Windows provided by the manufacturer of the hardware, which already has all the driver issues fixed. That's an extremely different scenario from taking an unmodified Microsoft Windows and installing it, getting all the proprietary drivers and getting it to work.

My first exposure to Ubuntu was from a friend of mine, who installed it in almost exactly 5 minutes, from the cd-rom installer's first prompt to reboot into the new OS. He used the defaults for everything. I have never seen this on anything else, not even a Mac. This was years back, but the computer was an old HP laptop and on Windows its WIFI had been broken for years. On Ubuntu everything worked flawlessly.

Obviously this does not work with all hardware. It takes time for the people with experience with your hardware to see your post and respond to it. Sometimes it takes days or weeks. Sometimes you're the only one and have to break new ground, so to speak. That's usually on esoteric hardware though. Usually mainstream hardware has lots of experienced users.

If you have some patience I'm sure we can get this sorted out for you, either for Linux or for Windows.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast