Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Synaptics Touchpad and keyboard not working

Beans

Re: Synaptics Touchpad and keyboard not working

Thanks pauljw. I did what you suggested but it didn't work on my HP Stream with Synaptics touchpad.

It's still not working properly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The laptop keyboard & mousepad do not work using a "live" cd, still requires the usb keyboard and mouse. Gonna try the Synaptic Package Manager.
    Last edited by Desert_Outlaw; March 26th, 2016 at 06:42 PM.

Beans

I think that's what I installed an hour or two ago and it didn't work for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Yes Desert_Outlaw . . . "Live OS's" are something pioneered by Linux many years ago; Microsoft is even now starting to get into the act (although I don't know how many restrictions they have hooked to their Live images).

A Live OS is a multi-purpose medium in that it is used to test & demo a system (OS), to be a rescue system, and to provide the means to install the OS. Perhaps the 1st Live OS was Knoppix, way back around 2001/2002.

Regarding synaptics, much of the install by OEM/ODM is focused only on MS-Windows or Mac - - - it's then often a case of tweaking the "config" text files associated with the drivers (or modules as known is Linux). As I've never had even a minor issue with track or touchpads, I can't offer much personal advice, but I've seen many links to threads about detailed config options to look at in the Linux version of a registry (e.g., the /etc directory).

Again - - suggest to use Ubuntu Xenial Xerus asap - latest kernel (4.4) has much better support for certain synaptics hardware.
    Last edited by Geoffrey_Arndt; March 26th, 2016 at 09:26 PM. Reason: more info
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Distro

OK guys, . . . has anyone tried the beta2 Xenial release (16.04) with kernel 4.4.?
    Problem installing Ubuntu? . . Just get it "Preinstalled" (like you did for Windows!) . . http://linuxpreloaded.com/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Arndt View Post
    OK guys, . . . has anyone tried the beta2 Xenial release (16.04) with kernel 4.4.?
    Just performed some searching and there appears to be 7 different flavors, each without identification of the minimum requirements. Therefore, it is unknown whether it would work on an older system, especially while in beta mode. Therefore, I'm gonna continue trying to resolve the issue of the keyboard and touchpad not responding after working in the grub. It has to be something simple that is being overlooked otherwise the keyboard and touchpad would not work at all.

Beans
    Distro

Re the "7 different flavors" . . . Ubuntu Unity (the default flavor) and Ubuntu Gnome use higher end graphic modes and require mostly modern, or up to date PC's (unless using Intel graphics - - those machines work even if cicra 2005). The rest like Xubuntu, Ubuntu Mate, Lubuntu etc. are lighter and work without needing Intel or Proprietary nVidia or AMD graphics drivers. Hope that clears things up somewhat.

Re the configuration - - it's likely there's a couple files in the /etc directory that would have to be modified (after making a backup of original) - - - (/etc or "etcee") is similar in function to the Windows registry (but not similar in design).

If I were dealing with your situation, I would start with "askUbuntu" - - as their Q & A is a bit more technical & detailed (not necessarily newbie friendly) - - - just my opinion for what it's worth. But also, I would try every link on general Google searches including youtube linux channels to search for answers. Lastly, there are many good answers at other forums for other distros (it's all Linux) such as Fedora, Mint, and especially the Arch Linux forums and Wiki's.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Geof. I tried to post in askUbuntu but was denied. Appears to be a board that requires special membership. Regardless, the reason I was wanting to use lubuntu on the Dell 4100 is because of the limited memory, processor, etc in the machine A regular ubuntu version taxes the puter and performance is anything but decent and acceptable, unlike lubuntu which zips right along. What amazes me is the laptop keyboard will work during the installation but after the OS is installed it will not. I ran the commands to learn what hardware was detected and all three pieces, the keyboard, touchpad and roller are displayed along with their assigned numbers. I also tried removing the grub and XP but was a wasted & worthless effort. So using an external keyboard and mouse are my only options should I want to use it. The other option is the trash bin outside.

Did spoke with Dell who informed me the problem I am experiencing is pretty common. Only suggestion that was given, other than to have the author correct the installation files was to disconnect the power adapter, remove the battery, and depress the power button for 30 seconds. Then re-install the battery, connect the power and boot the machine. It did not work.

Did learn something that was very kool though. Although I am an old Opera fan, version 12.17 and below, Opera makes downloading of their new version (which is basically a Chrome clone) fast and simple. Would be great if more sites were like Opera for Linux. Having to use the Software Center (which is limited) or enter a line of code to perform a download, and then hopefully performing an actual valid install, can be very frustrating and time consuming. BTW, the original engineers of Opera have a new browser called Vivaidi, which shows promise of becoming the best browser available and works just fine on Ubuntu. It is also a fast and simple download. Old Opera fans will recognize and appreciate many of the features and improvements.

In some ways, Linux is still in their infancy stage when compared to Windows other than for surfing the net. Have noticed an increase in updates for Linux systems although they are faster to download and install than Windows.

Thinking about purchasing the software that makes some software for Windows work on Linux but the reviews I have heard have not been that great. However, there is still a great feature about software for Linux. Almost all software created for Linux is backward compatible and will work on the newer versions and/or the flavor of the day. With Windows, a person can expect to spend a small fortune on software with each new release; From 3.1 to 95, 98, 2000, XP, 7, 8 and now the disastrous 10, seems like most software is not backward compatible, except for the browsers. Gotta tip your hat to the creators of most browsers.

So in closing, this post can be closed because this is an issue that is not going to be solved.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Geoffrey_Arndt View Post
    Again - - suggest to use Ubuntu Xenial Xerus asap - latest kernel (4.4) has much better support for certain synaptics hardware.
    I just installed Xenial... problem still exists.

What irritates most is that it's not working on the live CD.

BTW anyone who is trying to install 16.04 on a Aspire One ZG5 take the Lubuntu Alternate i368 iso
    The other gives kernel panic and has other issues...

The Aspire One doesn't have the bios setting like suggested in first video.
    the suggestion in the second video also gave no joy.

sudo leafpad /etc/default/grub

then added
    psmouse.proto=bare o the GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash psmouse.proto=bare"

sudo update-grub

after reboot the atheros wifi no longer seemed to work... not sure if this is related...?
    Last edited by wilfried3; April 25th, 2016 at 05:45 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12