Thread: PBIS / Power Broker - Add samba printer with network credentials

Beans

PBIS / Power Broker - Add samba printer with network credentials

Hello All,

I am working on a project to attempt to use ubuntu for a few computers in our computer lab at college. I have had success using PBIS (Power broker) to allow active directory network users to log into an ubuntu 14.04 machine using their windows credentials. However, I am having problems using a network printer with these credentials. I can use the 'lpadmin' command to add the printer correctly with domain administrator credentials, but the issue is that we have 'print release stations' in our school, which the users must log into to print. Because of this, the printers have to be added using the credentials of the users themselves. Adding the printer without credentials does not prompt the user to enter a username and password, either. They must go to devices and manually tell the print job to authenticate, which is inconvenient. So far, the only possible solution I can find with the least amount of work for the end user is to pop-up a terminal window to let the user add a printer by re-entering their credentials again after logging in, but logging in twice is also not ideal.

Please let me know if any of you are able to understand the question with the information I have provided.

Thanks for reading.

Beans

Re: PBIS / Power Broker - Add samba printer with network credentials

Hello again. It would be helpful to know what kind of additional information I could provide in order to allow this question to be resolved correctly. If no suggestions are forthcoming, I will try to post additional information on some kinds of commands I have tried to run, but again this could be wasted work because I don't quite know where to begin.

Thanks again.