Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Loading graphic driver for intel atom n2600 processor

Beans

Loading graphic driver for intel atom n2600 processor

Hi there,

I got a question for a brand-new Ubuntu 12.04.03 LTS graphic installation, this embedded system running on top of Intel Atom N2600 CPU, and Intel NM10 intel chipset, also GMA 500
    After a brand-new OS installation, I found the system is slow, and realized only the basic graphic driver installed, the currently resolution is only (800*600).
    Below steps is what I tried so far but has no luck to get it work.

1. I downloaded the Intel graphic installer for LINUX from 01.org, it installed successfully, but tells me that "You don't seem to have an Intel i915 chipset so no update are needed".
    2. Type command ""Sudo lshw -c video | grep 'configuration' " in term, I got below
    configuration: driver=gma500 latency=0
    3. Try find gma500 linux driver but I got nothing.

Does anyone know how to install this driver?
    Thanks.

Adam

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Loading graphic driver for intel atom n2600 processor

You already have that driver so there is nothing you can do to change, I'm afraid. Or not in a simple way with 12.04, but see below.

Intel has excellent drivers for its graphic chips and as long as it is not one of the very newest skylake cpus, it should be working as well as it can. It is likely that a newer version of Ubuntu will work better and I suggest you try an upgrade, or better a clean install of 14.04.4, which I am pretty certain has much better support for that Poulsbo graphic chip.

Try it live for a start to see if it gives you the required resolution; I think it will, and you can then take the final step and install that version.
    DISTRO: Xubuntu 18.04-64bit --- Code-tags --- Boot-Repair --- Grub2 wiki & Grub2 Basics --- RootSudo --- Wireless-Info --- SolvedThreads

Beans

Thanks for the quick respond ajgreeny.
    I actually downgraded from 14.04, it seems like a effect that causing the system even slower under 14.04 or 15.04.
    I think its the graphic driver, cuz it only shows mesa driver installed which its the basic driver. I don't know if anyone else have such problem, maybe is there a way to fine tune this OS?.

Beans

I have the same problem. Performance under 14.04.4 or 15.10 of my old Aspire One A0751h are just impossible. The system was working with reasonable performance with 11.04 or 12.04.
    Hope some user is able to suggest how to find a reasonable driver for GMA500 chip set

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

I think an Atom would be better off with a lighter desktop environment like X/Lubuntu.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

What motherboard?

My SuperMicro c2758-based board has an aspeed graphic chip, maybe you have something like that hardwired in.

mrgs,

I found out a year or so back that we have to stop assuming atoms are feeble. My c2758 beats my i7 920 on about half of the tests I tried. The i7 is faster at compilation, but just about everything else that I actually use a computer for, the c2758 beats the i7.

Beans
    Distro

Atom is a big family and yes, some of them can be quite powerful. Yours and original poster's are far from similar:

http://ark.intel.com/products/58916/...-Cache-1_6-GHz
    http://ark.intel.com/products/77988/...Cache-2_40-GHz
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans

Yeah, maybe I should have looked before posting. I guess somehow I thought all Atom processors were taking a huge step up.

Sorry for injecting irrelevant info.

Beans

I'm pretty sure the OP's Atom N2600 is a Cedarview chip with GMA3600 (not a Poulsbo chip with GMA500). If that's the case, this bug report explains why it works better with 12.04:
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...s/+bug/1132584

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by 1clue View Post
    Yeah, maybe I should have looked before posting. I guess somehow I thought all Atom processors were taking a huge step up.

Sorry for injecting irrelevant info.
    You don't have to be sorry. I like it when a thread widens out a little to give a more complete picture, not only question -> answer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast