Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ - 1TB SSD - UHD 4k touch)

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ - 1TB SSD - UHD 4k touch)

Now my external hdmi monitor works with intel card. (@trtzt)

What i've done:
    uninstall nvidia-361 complete (and any other nvidia drivers otherway versions will be mixed up an no login is possible - loginloop), add graphics-drivers ppa, install nvidia-364, install newest kernel (4.4.0.21) with apt-get upgrade

Code:
    # switch to intelsudo prime-select intel
    <logout>
    <login>

# uninstall 361
    sudo apt-get purge nvidia-361 libcuda1-361 nvidia-opencl-icd-361
    #may not be necessary, just to be sure
    sudo depmod -a

# install nvidia-364
    sudo apt-get install nvidia-364

# complete updates
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

reboot
    Now i'm able to connect my hdmi monitor AFTER login without freezes. Booting with connected monitor is not possilbe (freeze on login screen).

Thanks to bertusrex for this comment

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ - 1TB SSD - UHD 4k touch)

Hey guys,

I'm running on an XPS 15 9530 4K UHD. Instead of setting 1024x768 in GRUB, you should generate a new, 36px sized grub font, and then use that as a Grub font. This way you solved the HiDPI scaling issue on you laptop.

Code:
    sudo grub-mkfont --output=/boot/grub/fonts/hack.pf2 --size=38 /usr/share/fonts/truetype/hack/Hack-Regular.ttf
    I'm using the Hack font as fixed width typeface. If you want, you can use another font, just modify the names accordingly. You can install Hack fonts with this command:
    Code:
    sudo apt install fonts-hack-ttf
    Edit default grub settings to set the font:
    Code:
    sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    Paste the snippet below somewhere in the file (I prefer it below the line starting with GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX):
    Code:
    GRUB_FONT=/boot/grub/fonts/hack.pf2
    After this, run update-grub:
    Code:
    sudo update-grub
    Enjoy!

Source: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...tomGrub2Screen

Beans

Has anyone had any luck with better performance from the touchpad? I work mostly mobile and need it to perform well, but largely it drives me nuts!

I've spent hours fiddling with the Synaptics settings, but it's not even close to the function when in Windows (that I rarely use)

Any ideas appreciated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by wundbread View Post
    The update went smooth. No differences I have noticed.

FYI you can install by copying the bios file to /boot/efi/ and pressing F12 at boot, then select update bios.

The two issues still bugging me (freeze when switching modes with an hdmi monitor, headphone jack not working), are still there...
    I think I had the same headphone jack issue, no sound coming out. I fixed it by removing my PulseAudio config.
    Unplug any headphones you have attached and do an
    Code:
    rm -rf ~/.config/pulse/

Log out and back in, and it should work again.

Beans

Thanks so much for this guide! Also thanks to Starlith for the awesome mouse configuration.
    I'm still having a fair amount of strange problems and was wondering if anyone else has experienced them.
    I should also note that I'm currently using the Intel nvidia-prime profile (in nvidia-settings), as the Nvidia profile is even more problematic.

1. Screen randomly flashing black (not often, very sparse)
    2. Slight flickering when scrolling web pages (in firefox, Chrome is completely unusable).
    3. Random noise when using a USB soundcard (sounds exactly like when you place a cellphone next to a speaker).
    4. If I use the Atom text editor, whilst typing, random lines start appearing (I'm guessing this is chrome-related as it's running v8).
    Most of these are graphic related, is this mostly just related to poor drivers? Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Thanks again!

Update:
    I should also mention that trying to install the 364 nvidia driver broke my system (login-loop, had to revert to xorg then reinstall 361).
    I would not recommend anyone download the Intel Graphics Linux Installer (mentioned here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...301071&page=29), it caused a lot of errors and I ended up having to remove it as a broken package.
    This morning I started to experience the system randomly turning itself off. When I turned it back on the bios had reset itself to RAID. I kept getting "No Boot devices found" errors. I'm sure I didn't switch out of Legacy mode ever, but the only way to get back to GRUB and boot any OS's was to switch back to AHCI and UEFI mode.
    I had a quick chance to backup my files, but it kept randomly crashing and resetting the BIOS. Now it seems the BIOS doesn't even appear, it just turns on and quickly turns off again. I plan on returning it ASAP. There shouldn't be this much instability, regardless if I'm running linux.

(1080p model, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd)
    Last edited by paulll.lucas; April 26th, 2016 at 02:59 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paulll.lucas View Post
    Thanks so much for this guide! Also thanks to Starlith for the awesome mouse configuration. I'm still having a fair amount of strange problems and was wondering if anyone else has experienced them. I should also note that I'm currently using the Intel nvidia-prime profile (in nvidia-settings), as the Nvidia profile is even more problematic. - Screen randomly flashing black (not often, very sparse) - Slight flickering when scrolling web pages (in firefox, Chrome is completely unusable) - Random noise when using a USB soundcard (sounds exactly like when you place a cellphone next to a speaker) - If I use the Atom text editor, whilst typing, random lines start appearing (I'm guessing this is chrome-related as it's running v8) Most of these are graphic related, is this mostly just related to poor drivers? Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Thanks again!
    I have the FHD version and I tried the 361 version of nvidia but mostly I want to use the default Intel/xorg driver for battery. I get a lot of screen flickering randomly on the desktop. I'm not sure how to solve that. I wonder how it hasn't happened for anyone else?

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ - 1TB SSD - UHD 4k touch)

Hi all, beatiful guide, it helps me a lot ! just few questions to help me understand in deep please:

1. is there anyone who could explain me what meaning does raid on a single ssd?
    2. before reading this thread I installed ubuntu alongside windows without boot windows in safety mode before switch from RAID to AHCI (I skipped point 4 and 6 becouse I didn't know), so Windows was able to run only with RAID mode on, conversely Ubuntu only in AHCI mode (the guide solved this issue). Why?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

is there anyone who could explain me what meaning does raid on a single ssd?
    I have no wish to disagree with anyone. But, Is it a single SSD?

2 x 512 GB SSD = 1 TB SSD with RAID. In this way manufacturers can offer higher storage capacity by using up existing 512 GB SSD stock and then wait until the price of 1 TB SSD drops before installing 1 TB SSD in their machines.

It is just a guess.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by paulll.lucas View Post
    Thanks so much for this guide! Also thanks to Starlith for the awesome mouse configuration.
    I'm still having a fair amount of strange problems and was wondering if anyone else has experienced them.
    I should also note that I'm currently using the Intel nvidia-prime profile (in nvidia-settings), as the Nvidia profile is even more problematic.

1. Screen randomly flashing black (not often, very sparse)
    2. Slight flickering when scrolling web pages (in firefox, Chrome is completely unusable).
    3. Random noise when using a USB soundcard (sounds exactly like when you place a cellphone next to a speaker).
    4. If I use the Atom text editor, whilst typing, random lines start appearing (I'm guessing this is chrome-related as it's running v8).
    Most of these are graphic related, is this mostly just related to poor drivers? Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Thanks again!

Update:
    I should also mention that trying to install the 364 nvidia driver broke my system (login-loop, had to revert to xorg then reinstall 361).
    I would not recommend anyone download the Intel Graphics Linux Installer (mentioned here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...301071&page=29), it caused a lot of errors and I ended up having to remove it as a broken package.
    This morning I started to experience the system randomly turning itself off. When I turned it back on the bios had reset itself to RAID. I kept getting "No Boot devices found" errors. I'm sure I didn't switch out of Legacy mode ever, but the only way to get back to GRUB and boot any OS's was to switch back to AHCI and UEFI mode.
    I had a quick chance to backup my files, but it kept randomly crashing and resetting the BIOS. Now it seems the BIOS doesn't even appear, it just turns on and quickly turns off again. I plan on returning it ASAP. There shouldn't be this much instability, regardless if I'm running linux.

(1080p model, 8gb ram, 256gb ssd)
    How did you fix the screen flickering issue?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Moved to General Help, as it has nothing to do with Yakkety.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast