Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ - 1TB SSD - UHD 4k touch)

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ - 1TB SSD - UHD 4k touch)

I just got my new XPS 15 with the UHD screen. I also experienced the issue with not able to recover from a suspend. The solution for me was to downgrade the BIOS version to 1.2.
    In the recent 1.2.3 Dell updated the Suspend/Resume code... which I guess is not Linux friendly.

Beans

Hello guys! Thanks for guide, it really helps.

Does anybody knows what is with sound drivers? Sound is not clear on maximum as it was on preinstalled Windows 10. Somebody have any solution?

Beans

Any luck with BIOS 1.2.14 I cant get suspend working, closed lid or power button, also it broke usb-c docking station!?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

For fixing the brightness suspend/resume problem looks like there's a solution for Dell Precision 5510 that could be applied on Dell XPS 15 9550. Add the script on /lib/systemd/system-sleep/97fixbacklight (with chmod 755):

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # From patchwork.freedesktop.org/.../
    # and en.community.dell.com/.../19985320
    # Suspend Resume fails to restore PWM_GRANUALITY
    # Based on script by Tony.Jewell@Cregganna.Com

INTEL_REG=/usr/bin/intel_reg
    ADDR="0x000c2000"
    SAVE_FILE=/var/lib/systemd/save_intel_reg_pwm_granuality

[ -x "$INTEL_REG" ] || exit 0

case "$1" in
            pre)
            echo "$0: Saving Intel Register PWM_GRANUALITY"
            "$INTEL_REG" read "$ADDR" \
                | (read addr value && echo "$value") \
                >"$SAVE_FILE"
        sync
        ;;
        post)
            value=`cat "$SAVE_FILE" 2>/dev/null`
            if [ -n "$value" ]
            then
                echo "$0: Restoring Intel Register PWM_GRANUALITY $value"
                "$INTEL_REG" write "$ADDR" "$value"
                rm "$SAVE_FILE"
            fi
        ;;
    esac
    The bug was reported on the kernel: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97486
    Source of script: http://en.community.dell.com/techcen...41236#20941236

p.s.: I have just tested this with BIOS 01.02.14 ! Only problem is that on lowest brightness setting the monitor turns off all light (you can still see the screen if you turn on a flashlight pointing the monitor though)
    Last edited by morhook; September 19th, 2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Added latest test with BIOS 1.2.14 on my machine

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by morhook View Post
    For fixing the brightness suspend/resume problem looks like there's a solution for Dell Precision 5510 that could be applied on Dell XPS 15 9550. Add the script on /lib/systemd/system-sleep/97fixbacklight (with chmod 755):

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    # From patchwork.freedesktop.org/.../
    # and en.community.dell.com/.../19985320
    # Suspend Resume fails to restore PWM_GRANUALITY
    # Based on script by Tony.Jewell@Cregganna.Com

INTEL_REG=/usr/bin/intel_reg
    ADDR="0x000c2000"
    SAVE_FILE=/var/lib/systemd/save_intel_reg_pwm_granuality

[ -x "$INTEL_REG" ] || exit 0

case "$1" in
            pre)
            echo "$0: Saving Intel Register PWM_GRANUALITY"
            "$INTEL_REG" read "$ADDR" \
                | (read addr value && echo "$value") \
                >"$SAVE_FILE"
        sync
        ;;
        post)
            value=`cat "$SAVE_FILE" 2>/dev/null`
            if [ -n "$value" ]
            then
                echo "$0: Restoring Intel Register PWM_GRANUALITY $value"
                "$INTEL_REG" write "$ADDR" "$value"
                rm "$SAVE_FILE"
            fi
        ;;
    esac
    The bug was reported on the kernel: https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=97486
    Source of script: http://en.community.dell.com/techcen...41236#20941236

p.s.: I have just tested this with BIOS 01.02.14 ! Only problem is that on lowest brightness setting the monitor turns off all light (you can still see the screen if you turn on a flashlight pointing the monitor though)
    is
    This worked for me on my XPS 15 9550. I originally had to check "Block Sleep" in the bios, which at least made the laptop come back after lid close / power button (technically not suspended though obviously). But adding this script worked after unchecking Block Sleep in bios. Nvidia drivers do not work for me, Intel drivers have been working fine thought. I'm on Ubuntu 16.04 Ubuntu Gnome, no other problems so far, thanks for the great guide.

Beans

Greetings,

Like others have said, the initial guide was fantastic for getting everything set up. I've got Xenial running with the 4.6.7 kernel on the XPS 15 9550 and using the WD-15 dock. Firmware is updated to 1.2.14 (laptop shipped with 1.2.12 and would not charge). So far, so good.

My problem started yesterday, when I got the crazy idea to add a display via the dock. I'm attempting to add a 4K display over either mini displayport or HDMI on the dock. When adding the monitor and enabling via the Display menu (either connection), my system experiences a hard freeze. I've done some research and found this is a common problem, but none of the suggested solutions (Intel drivers, Nvidia drivers, bumblebee, PRIME, etc.) have worked for me. In my current config, I'm using the nvidia 367.44 drivers from the graphics-drivers ppa with the default Ubuntu drivers for the Intel graphics. Via nvidia-settings, I'm using Intel graphics. I can reliably reproduce the freeze with any permutation of drivers and performance profiles.

If I use the on-board HDMI connector, I can add the external display at full 4K resolution, and everything works flawlessly (both via Displays and via xrandr).

Having played around with xrandr, I've found that I can add the device, but only at 1920x1080. If I add at the detected 3840x2160 mode:
    Code:
    xrandr --output DP1-1 --mode 3840x2160 --right-of eDP1
    nothing happens. If I choose 1920x1080, it mounts and works correctly, but at a much-reduced resolution.

Has anyone else on here had any luck attaching a 4K display via the dock? If so, what else can I try to get this working?

Beans

I had some of the same problem smentioned here about blank display, and running on bios 1.2.0 because anything later did not work well. Thanks to this thread, I have it fixed.

kernel: 4.7.6
    Bios: 1.2.14

so far suspend and display brightness all work. Display brightness worked after the above mentioned fixbacklight script.

I did have this error everytime my kernel updated:
    W: Possible missing firmware /lib/firmware/i915/kbl_dmc_ver1.bin for module i915

so I followed this thread: http://askubuntu.com/questions/71733...-not-available and updated the linux_firmware to the latest using this link:
    http://ubuntu-master.mirror.tudos.de...mware/?C=M;O=D

I hope that helps some. And for those still running old BIOS, update and try with the backlight fix script above. It should work.

Beans

Hey everyone!

I'm on kernel 4.7 and A6 BIOS (1.2.0) and I'm having trouble getting suspend working correctly. Whenever I suspend, I'll pull out my laptop and it's burning hot since it's been on the whole time and stowed in my backpack.
    I'm running Debian Stretch on a model with touch, i5, nvidia graphics, SSD, etc. If anyone has any leads on this, please let me know!

Edit: I've also tried with the newest BIOS version and the fixbacklight script above. Same problem with suspend!
    Last edited by edmyloo; October 5th, 2016 at 08:51 PM. Reason: Adding details

Beans

hi edmyloo,
    what kernel are you on? I have noticed that my laptop will come on if it gets a hard bump, even though the screen does not open at all. Does anyone else have this issue?

Beans

Hi guys,
    As many have said before this thread is amazing. I've got 16.04 up and running on my XPS 15 9550 really quickly thanks to this thread.

However, I'm stuck with an issue relating to the headphones
    When I plug them in, it seems they get detected but can't hear anything.
    I've checked alsamixer and pavucontrol and they both detect them.
    In alsamixer when I plug them in the speaker volume gets turned down and the headphone volume is turned up but still no sound through the headphones.

Has anyone had this or has any ideas on how to fix this?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast