Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ - 1TB SSD - UHD 4k touch)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ - 1TB SSD - UHD 4k touch)

Quote Originally Posted by morhook View Post
    I've updated my BIOS with mentioned 01.02.10 and my suspend looks broken. I close the lid (or suspend from the menu) and looks suspended. After trying to un-suspend, the machine seems working (CAPS-LOCK key responds), but nothing appears on the screen. Someone else has this problem?

Edit: confirmed that the problem is just the internal monitor. Connected an external monitor and could access a working system
    It was happening to me too, I had to roll back to 1.1.19.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by morhook View Post
    I've updated my BIOS with mentioned 01.02.10 and my suspend looks broken. I close the lid (or suspend from the menu) and looks suspended. After trying to un-suspend, the machine seems working (CAPS-LOCK key responds), but nothing appears on the screen. Someone else has this problem?

Edit: confirmed that the problem is just the internal monitor. Connected an external monitor and could access a working system
    Not happening here, suspend works well with bios 1.2.10 (ok, one minor glitch: bluetooth is not automatically turned back on after resume).

I'm using a newer kernel (4.6.3) though, plus I have a FHD screen which I usually use with i915 instead of nvidia.

Beans

Do you have the 1.1.19 BIOS installer? I can't find it in Dell Drivers website. Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've downgraded from 1.2.10 to 1.2.0 (where my brightness works ok, even on the BIOS setup a strange effect happened on lowest brightness setting without battery). You can download 1.1.19 from a guy that saved them: https://drive.google.com/folderview?...&usp=drive_web (looks like 1.1.19 BIOS has been taken away from the Dell site)

Edit: other people with 4K had brigthness problems on lower setting on reddit
    Last edited by morhook; July 11th, 2016 at 01:26 PM. Reason: Added 4K specific

Beans

Downgrading BIOS firmware to 1.1.19 (from 1.2.10) fixed the restore/suspend black screen, thanks morhook

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you tried @matstam and @camilo0365 installing 1.2.0? Do you have both 4k displays? That one is working fine in all cases here on my machine (here some people is reporting brightness problems with A10 BIOS 1.2.10 https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/commen...iver_details/? )

Beans

Hi everyone, thank you for all of the info on this thread. It has been a great help in setting up my new XPS 15 9550. I set it up following the OP's directions (minus anything for the 4K monitor as I just have the FHD one).

I have run into an irritating issue with configuring the trackpad:
    Synaptics has the TapAndDragGesture enabled by default, which allows you to tap twice and then drag the cursor around the screen as if you are holding down the mouse button and dragging. I don't like this functionality and would like to disable it. I followed the advice at http://wiki.yobi.be/wiki/Laptop_Dell_XPS_15#Touchpad in order to fix the issue of the trackpad being detected more than once, and now I can configure my touchpad with synclient.

However, when I attempt to disable TapAndDragGesture, instead of fully disabling it, it seems to just limit the amount of time that dragging works when I double tap (I can double tap and drag, but it will only drag for a short amount of time, and then stop dragging and just move the cursor like normal). This is just as irritating, as it still drags for long enough for me to accidentally move tabs around, etc. Does anyone know how I can fully disable this gesture?

One other question: when changing touchpad configurations using synclient, what is the best way to make these changes last through a reboot? I have found many different ways to do this, and some don't seem to work...

Thanks in advance!

Beans

Hi everyone, and thanks for the interesting job on this thread.
    I'm planning to buy this notebook, and i need to use an external monitor with it (Dell u2515h 2560x1440).
    Sorry about the question, but, is there a way to have external monitor working (on HDMI or DP), also on booting while the monitor is connected, without freezes or any others problems?

Thanks!
    Last edited by giup2; July 18th, 2016 at 06:16 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by giup2 View Post
    I'm planning to buy this notebook, and i need to use an external monitor with it (Dell u2515h 2560x1440).
    Sorry about the question, but, is there a way to have external monitor working (on HDMI or DP), also on booting while the monitor is connected, without freezes or any others problems?

Thanks!
    Yes, mine is working completely fine with an external monitor (Dell something-or-other @1920x1080) connected via HDMI.

@morhook: thanks for the heads up on the BIOS and brightness issues. I have the same issues with BIOS 1.2.10 on my 4K screen:

• After boot, you only get 13 graduated levels of brightness, and the lowest one turns the laptop screen completely off
    • After resume, you only get completely off or 100% brightness, which means it often resumes with the laptop screen completely off, and you have to manually set it back to the second highest level before it turns on again
    • After resume, whenever the screen goes off due to dpms kicking in and you press a key to wake it back up, the laptop screen stays off until you manually set it back to the second highest level

But it works correctly with the 1.2.0 BIOS (you get 20 graduated levels of brightness; the screen is still visible at the lowest level; and it works the same before and after resume).

Does anyone know how to report this to Dell?

Btw, the external monitor works correctly with either BIOS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by giup2 View Post

Thanks!
    I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 with 4.6.0-040600-generic, with a Dell UP3216Q monitor at 4K 60Hz with intel card (I have not tested the nvidia yet). Everything works perfectly, even when the monitor is connected on boot. The monitor is connected using a startech USB-C to DP cable (https://www.startech.com/AV/usb-c-vi...ter~CDP2DPMM6B).

Hope it helps.

Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast