Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ - 1TB SSD - UHD 4k touch)

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 16.04 on Dell Xps 15 9550 (i7-6700HQ - 1TB SSD - UHD 4k touch)

Quote Originally Posted by rockorequin View Post
    You can upgrade to 1.2.16 by downloading the executable from the Dell site (eg from http://www.dell.com/support/home/au/...laptop/drivers - look for the BIOS driver) and running it (in *******).
    You do not need Microsoft Windows to update the bios.
    Ubuntu 16.04 and later will automatically notify the user of the new bios and update it upon user approval.
    The "manual" way is to simply use a USB flash drive and the laptop bios screen.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by kevinml2 View Post
    Ubuntu 16.04 and later will automatically notify the user of the new bios and update it upon user approval.
    Hey, that's cool. Could you be more specific about the automatic notification - do I need to set something up (my Ubuntu currently doesn't tell me there's an update available). Also, when you say you can update the BIOS from the BIOS screen, do you mean via a menu item and by loading the exe from Dell?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kevinml2 View Post
    I am currently running Linux Mint 18.1 (released December 16th, 2016) and the 4.9.0 kernel (released December 11th)I have been trying so dearly to install the latest BIOS. What steps did you take to install it?

I am running 1.2.10 and I have tried the 1.2.14 and 1.2.16 BIOS. I have tried the following ways and none were successful.
    Every time I run the update, the it looks as if it is working and the system correctly restarts twice. one to install, one to restart post install, but every time I hit F12 on the second reboot, my BIOS version remains at 1.2.10. Do I need to reset my BIOS settings to default and then install?

1. Placing the .exe on my /boot/efi/ partition and running it via BIOS Flash
    2. Placing the .exe on a USB and running it via BIOS Flash
    3. Placing the .exe on a FreeDOS USB drive and running via C:XPS~.exe

Also a new BIOS just got posted as of December 19, 2016: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...ivers?os=biosa

Beans

I just installed the 1.2.18 BIOS, it's highly recommended since it solved a few bugs for me:

1) Since installing 1.2.16 I had a very annoying bug: everytime I was on battery and I suspended my laptop it would actually turn off!!
    2) The lowest brightness setting is now available again and it does not turn off the sceen
    3) The screen flickering at low brightness seems to be gone (maybe more testing to confirm this)

Bye everyone

Quote Originally Posted by etherizim View Post
    I am currently running Linux Mint 18.1 (released December 16th, 2016) and the 4.9.0 kernel (released December 11th)I have been trying so dearly to install the latest BIOS. What steps did you take to install it?

I am running 1.2.10 and I have tried the 1.2.14 and 1.2.16 BIOS. I have tried the following ways and none were successful.
    Every time I run the update, the it looks as if it is working and the system correctly restarts twice. one to install, one to restart post install, but every time I hit F12 on the second reboot, my BIOS version remains at 1.2.10. Do I need to reset my BIOS settings to default and then install?

1. Placing the .exe on my /boot/efi/ partition and running it via BIOS Flash
    2. Placing the .exe on a USB and running it via BIOS Flash
    3. Placing the .exe on a FreeDOS USB drive and running via C:XPS~.exe

Also a new BIOS just got posted as of December 19, 2016: http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/...ivers?os=biosa

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I could install BIOS 1.2.18 (A16) via the BIOS Flash update (/boot/efi/ directory) and priorly 1.2.16 via Windows. I think the machine of @etherizim might have an issue. Try to reset the BIOS settings, as probably the method is not related with the error of not upgrading.

My low-brightness setting is also fixed here!

Beans

The instructions here have worked great. For those still having issues with touchpad, on page 2 there is a post to use

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-input-libinput
    the libinput driver works A LOT better than the synaptics one. Try it and you'll see. It solved all touchpad palm sensitivity issues for me.

A different problem that still persists for me is HiDpi scaling for certain apps (Eclipse, Skype etc.). Seems to be java apps but can't quite find a solution. It's a big deal because one of my work tools is built on eclipse and I def need to get it to work.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rukab View Post
    the libinput driver works A LOT better than the synaptics one. Try it and you'll see. It solved all touchpad palm sensitivity issues for me.
    Thank you. It really solved the palm sensitivity but I also lost the possibility to configure natural scrolling and sensitivity in the unity settings.
    Also right click with two fingers doesn't work anymore.
    Last edited by 7ql6; January 8th, 2017 at 04:15 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've got most things working but can't get around the issue of horizontal artefacts showing during video playback. This happens on either GPU and on both the laptop screen and attached monitors. Anyone had the same issue and managed to fix it?
    **** WARNING ****
    User IQ less than recommended minimum. Replace user and try again.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 7ql6 View Post
    Thank you. It really solved the palm sensitivity but I also lost the possibility to configure natural scrolling and sensitivity in the unity settings.
    Also right click with two fingers doesn't work anymore.
    All those should be configurable. See all options here: https://www.mankier.com/4/libinput and make sure to set up config file as instructed in the earlier post. For me when i first installed it it defaulted to hard click instead of tap-to-click. Once I enabled tapping click in options then 2 finger right click (tap), and 3 finger middle click (tap) started working fine. FYI I had to restart after setting options.

Beans

Has anyone had problems with pressure sensitivity ?

It is much too sensitive right now (almost seems it detects the tap BEFORE I even touch the touchpad).

The synaptics settings related to this (FingerHigh, FingerLow) have absolutely no effect. libinput doesn't seem to have any settings related to pressure.

And in the system settings (I use KDE), the pressure sensitivity settings are all greyed out.

Any idea ?

Page 15 of 18 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast