Thread: Best Ubuntu-Preinstalled Computer?

Beans

Question Best Ubuntu-Preinstalled Computer?

So I recently made the (very smart) crossover from windows to Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS, and let me tell you, I don't think I will EVER look back on that decision. In fact, I was looking into purchasing an Ubuntu-preinstalled laptop for personal use in coding, gaming, and general wear-and-tear sort of everyday activities. However, when I looked into it, there were several names and brands I had never heard of that were the only possessors of an Ubuntu laptop. I am currently Dual-Booting Ubuntu and windows 8 on an old toshiba satellite, which is showing much limitation, specifically disk/partition size.

So, enough rambling, my question is, What's the best Ubuntu Laptop out there for personal use and gaming use? Any bang-for-buck suggestions are also greatly appreciated.

Thanks a ton!
    ~Andrew M

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Re: Best Ubuntu-Preinstalled Computer?

There is no simple answer as to best Ubuntu-preinstalled computer. Those of us that may have one only have one so there is nothing to compare it with. Not only is there no way to compare, but if one of us may possibly have one then it may be a few years old. The best anyone can do for you is possibly recommend a particular brand. You need to do your own market research, after all, it is your money.

I have been very satisfied with the laptop I purchased from System76 about 2-1/2 years ago.
    Another brand I considered was ZaReason. I believe Dell recently came out with a developer model pre-loaded with Ubuntu.
    There maybe other brands that I am unaware of.

Shopping and comparing the specifications of computers is one of the great joys in life.
    Good luck, and have fun.
    Cheers,

The Linux Command Line at http://linuxcommand.org/

Beans

Re: Best Ubuntu-Preinstalled Computer?

Quote Originally Posted by andrewm2 View Post
    ..., What's the best Ubuntu Laptop out there for personal use and gaming use? Any bang-for-buck suggestions ...
    So you want a Linux machine that will play most of the games you've played on Windows? Would you also like to use software from Adobe or other proprietary suppliers?

I think you should expand on "personal use" so that people can give you specific information.

And are you interested in a "budget" machine?

The following link refers to a laptop by Dell which is by no means a budget machine and I'm not clear about what will void the warranty: http://www.pcworld.com/article/30459...linux-pcs.html