Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Harsh but fair criticisms for Linux on the Desktop, 2016 edition

Beans

Re: Harsh but fair criticisms for Linux on the Desktop, 2016 edition

I agree that the fun is over.

No one cares about Ubuntu anymore https://www.google.be/trends/explore...=%2Fm%2F03x5qm

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Your data does not support your conclusion.

In the time frame covered, what is the level of interest in Linux in general and other distros specifically? Linux was "new" to many people before Ubuntu.

Furthermore, your source does not reveal its source or methodology and the various flavors of Ubuntu are separated.

Your source represents "fun with stats".
    Last edited by QIII; November 10th, 2016 at 11:04 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans

The stats mean nothing to me. I install or deploy what the customer wants after all the preliminary investigations and POC's. It does not matter to me if it is Windows, MacOS, or a Linux Distribution. Stats only matter to statisticians. Of course for my own computing things are a little different.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I've been a Linux user for 10 years now.

Having a open mind and choices are all we need.

Certainly don't need polls.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Ubuntu Mate 16.04 is very good, on a 4 month old Dell Desktop, ~$300 in cost, very good. Why this constant diss of Linux by some individuals??

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I have issues in Linux, but I also have issues on Windows.

Dell Precision M6500, on Ubuntu MATE 16.04, it won't resume from suspend, and sometimes the sound is entirely too low despite being at max volume. Seems to be when I restart into Ubuntu after running Windows, and persists until I shut down the computer and turn it back on. Once I do that, sound in Ubuntu returns to normal.

But I also have issues in Windows 7. Sometimes I boot up and the touchpad driver doesn't function properly, and I lose all my settings for it. And even when it does 'function properly' things like two-finger scrolling are horribly erratic and sometimes don't work at all. Dell has released no driver updates for it. This actually makes Ubuntu less frustrating to use than Windows.

Ubuntu ran just about perfectly on my Latitude E6510, but that computer itself has had too many problems, unlrelated to the OS, and so I've retired it. Like any computer I buy, it was used, and some idiot had worked on it at one point and left a screw floating around inside. Before I bought my chill pad, I would turn the laptop upside down when closing the lid but not shutting down or suspending so it didn't overheat. Enough times of doing that worked the screw over to something important, she went 'snap, crackle & pop' and that was it. Ordered a new motherboard, put it in, solder joint issue, pressing even lightly on a certain part of the case causes a lock-up. Threw my hands up in the air, gave up, and ordered the M6500.
    Last edited by LT1Caprice57L; November 11th, 2016 at 06:16 PM.
    I have some computers and stuff. Really.
    Dell Precision M6500 - 8GB/560GB - Ubuntu MATE 16.04/Win7Pro
    Macbook 2,1 C2D 2.16 13" 4GB/120GB - Ubuntu 12.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My biggest criticism with Linux has to do with the remarkably bad performance for most games within Linux. Those made by Valve run better within Linux, but anything else which exists on both platforms is 2x to 4x smoother on Windows.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by silverslimer View Post
    My biggest criticism with Linux has to do with the remarkably bad performance for most games within Linux. Those made by Valve run better within Linux, but anything else which exists on both platforms is 2x to 4x smoother on Windows.
    Linux was created for far greater purposes then entertainment, while it can handle that task as well.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have a Microsoft Wireless desktop 700 (Yes Microsoft) on a dual boot Windows 10 and Ubuntu 17.10.

In windows 10 I have to reinstall the drivers every time I use it. On Ubuntu it just works - go figure!

Also, my Windows 10 suddenly wouldn't install any updates. I tried every solution on every forum I could find before having to completely reinstall which took hours.

I use windows once a week for one package only because I have to. Ubuntu works just fine for me the rest of the time and it's a helluva lot more fun.
    Last edited by JonPaul; September 2nd, 2017 at 03:42 PM.

Beans

Hardware issues? Why do people expect Linux to run on machines built for Windows. It makes no sense. If you want to run an OS, you buy hardware for that OS. I never buy hardware unless it has good Linux support. My laptop ran Ubuntu from the factory, and it is was one of the most powerful laptops you could buy at the time. (Dell Precision M4600) So the hardware issues aren't nearly as severe as he makes them out to be.

Linux desktop still spins circles around MS Windows when it comes to efficiency, especially if you are running Compiz, and taking advantage of many of it's plug-ins.

These are just a few of the many, many things the Linux desktop does better than MS:
    1. Mouse focus follows the mouse pointer. No need to click to get window focus with the mouse pointer
    2. You can set any window to "Always on top"
    3. You can easily make a window go semi-transparent by holding down Alt and the scrolling the mouse button up or down. (Compiz plug-in) This feature
    4. Multiple desktops have been a part of Linux since decades ago
    5. You can "aero-snap" windows 9 different ways on each monitor,as well as at the edges between multi-monitors. 4 quarter-screen options, 4 half-screen options, and full-screen, either by dragging the window to an edge or corner, or by holding down CTRL+ALT and hitting a number on the number pad. (Compiz plug-in)

He points out that LibreOffice doesn't draw Microsoft Office documents "properly," but he fails to point out that Microsoft Office doesn't even open a LibreOffice document. I don't accept the premise that the Linux vs. Windows is to be viewed only form a Windows perspective. Besides, the rendering issue is solved by installing the latest MS fonts on your system. The only way to get a document to render properly across all platforms is to export it to pdf, which OpenOffice/LibreOffice did long before Microsoft Office ever came around to reasonable.
    Last edited by wildmanne39; September 2nd, 2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Removed inappropiate comments

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast