Thread: Upgrade 15.10 32-bit to 16.04 64-bit

Beans

Upgrade 15.10 32-bit to 16.04 64-bit

I bought a decent server a few months ago and installed Ubuntu desktop with server setup and use the machine as a headless server. Due to some issues with the 64-bit version of Ubuntu 15.10 (total system freeze during installation) I decided to use the 32-bit version. I would prefer to change to 64-bit when upgrading and understand that a clean install is preferable (rather than upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit).

I've got a raid10-setup (currently with one SSD and 2 x 3GB HD for raid, but will add to more at a later stage). This is the essential parts of my setup:
    - /data - Homevideos, pictures etc in sub folders
    - /home - home areas of family members

Can I do a regular advanced installation where / is reinstalled and formatted, but retain the current /data in the same way as I usually retain /home/ when doing a clean install on my laptop?

A sidenote: Assuming proper backup, is 16.4, although not final nor production ready, stable enough to upgrade to for this server during the coming weeks?

Yours,

Lars

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

Re: Upgrade 15.10 32-bit to 16.04 64-bit

Honestly to me, I believe that it is not a good upgrade from 32 to 64 bit Ubuntu. If the problem is just retaining data on a fresh installation then I would just back up the data to an external drive and copy it back over to the new 64 bit OS. I mean it seems the easiest way to do it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Are /data & /home on separate partitions? If so, then re-installing into the / partition and formatting the partition will not touch /home (especially if you do not tick to format) or /data.

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Are /data & /home on separate partitions? If so, then re-installing into the / partition and formatting the partition will not touch /home (especially if you do not tick to format) or /data.
    Yeah. Both /data and /home are on seperate partitions. I've posted my entire setup below.

Code:
    user@server:~$ df -h
    Filesystem      Size  Used Avail Use% Mounted on
    udev            3,9G     0  3,9G   0% /dev
    tmpfs           799M   11M  789M   2% /run
    /dev/sdc5        23G   12G   11G  52% /
    tmpfs           3,9G   84K  3,9G   1% /dev/shm
    tmpfs           5,0M  4,0K  5,0M   1% /run/lock
    tmpfs           3,9G     0  3,9G   0% /sys/fs/cgroup
    /dev/sdc6        81G   47G   30G  62% /home
    /dev/sdc1       922M  137M  722M  16% /boot
    /dev/md0        2,7T  946G  1,7T  37% /data
    cgmfs           100K     0  100K   0% /run/cgmanager/fs
    tmpfs           799M   56K  799M   1% /run/user/1000
    tmpfs           799M     0  799M   0% /run/user/1004

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by OiPenguin View Post
    understand that a clean install is preferable (rather than upgrade from 32-bit to 64-bit).
    Not only preferable, it's the only way to go. One can't upgrade from 32 to a 64 bit version.

Would be great if you could test 16.04 and report the bugs if you find any.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

If you have installed lots of applications, you want to export that list.
    from lovinglinux - use dpkg to list installed apps
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...75&postcount=5

And your /etc/fstab, so you do not have to manually recreate all your mounts. You may have other entries in /etc and if a server various installed apps inside / (root) that you want to save settings or databases.

So good backups are required to make it easy to restore to a good working install.
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

Thanks for all replies. I've upgraded (clean install, /home kept) my laptop, but will wait until the final version before upgrading my server. Upgrade were fairly smooth, but my language keyboard was not available before I upgraded all packages and rebooted.

The tip about how to backup all packages were great. I've not used it for the laptop since part of my problem was that I had installed too much clutter, but I may use it when upgrading my server.