Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Touchscreen/Touchpad issues on Ubuntu 14.04 and Dell XPS 13

Beans

Re: Touchscreen/Touchpad issues on Ubuntu 14.04 and Dell XPS 13

Dell Inspirion 5378 - works as well. Thank you for this solution.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Touchscreen/Touchpad issues on Ubuntu 14.04 and Dell XPS 13

@ddarling

Thank you!!! This was driving me crazy. I did notice two touchpads when i ran xinput list but all the other "solutions" I found did not address that and didn't work for me.

I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 on a dell xps 13 9350.

Quote Originally Posted by ddarling View Post
    Hi maka,

I picked up a Dell XPS 13 (9350) last week, and I've been having the same problem with syndaemon. It can make for a miserable experience if you can't get "disable touchpad while typing" to work.

To get things working properly, I needed to disable the second touchpad device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad". I think it was mostly being ignored, and syndaemon was attaching to it instead of "DLL0704:01 06CB:76AE Touchpad", which was actually managing the touchpad.

I disabled it in the Xorg config file. I opened:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-synaptics-quirks.conf

and added this entry:

Code:
    # Disable generic Synaptics device, as we're using
    # "DLL0704:01 06CB:76AE Touchpad"
    # Having multiple touchpad devices running confuses syndaemon
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
            MatchProduct "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
            MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            MatchOS "Linux"
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
            Option "Ignore" "on"
    EndSection

Then I restarted Xorg by typing:

# sudo systemctl restart lightdm

And all was well. I'm not an Xorg config guru, so there might be a more precise way to do this, but it got the job done.

The file location and restarting Xorg might be slightly different on 14.04 -- I'm on 16.04 Beta 2 since it has the 4.4 kernel which is needed for Wifi to work.

I hope this helps you keep typing in the window you intended! FWIW, your hint at looking at "xinput list" is what got me going in the right direction for the fix, so thanks!

Last edited by alx-g; April 23rd, 2017 at 05:45 AM. Reason: add info

Beans

Hello! I have a brand new Dell Inspiron 15 7579 2-in-1. I've tried running both the following: USB Flash Drive with 17.04, USB external hard drive with 16.04 LTS. In both the cursor jumps backwards when typing often. I'm using external devices because I want to make sure ubuntu will work or I'll return the computer. Syndaemon and the touchpad app don't do anything to disable the touchpad when typing. This solution looks promising so I tried entering in terminal " /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-synaptics-quirks.conf" and when I do this message appears: "bash: /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-synaptics-quirks.conf: Permission denied". Not sure what I'm missing. I would like to try this solution if possible!

I'm not too well-versed in the inner workings of using terminal in ubuntu. Please let me know if you can help. Thank you!!!

Quote Originally Posted by ddarling View Post
    Hi maka,

I picked up a Dell XPS 13 (9350) last week, and I've been having the same problem with syndaemon. It can make for a miserable experience if you can't get "disable touchpad while typing" to work.

To get things working properly, I needed to disable the second touchpad device "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad". I think it was mostly being ignored, and syndaemon was attaching to it instead of "DLL0704:01 06CB:76AE Touchpad", which was actually managing the touchpad.

I disabled it in the Xorg config file. I opened:

/usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/51-synaptics-quirks.conf

and added this entry:

Code:
    # Disable generic Synaptics device, as we're using
    # "DLL0704:01 06CB:76AE Touchpad"
    # Having multiple touchpad devices running confuses syndaemon
    Section "InputClass"
            Identifier "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
            MatchProduct "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"
            MatchIsTouchpad "on"
            MatchOS "Linux"
            MatchDevicePath "/dev/input/event*"
            Option "Ignore" "on"
    EndSection

Then I restarted Xorg by typing:

# sudo systemctl restart lightdm

And all was well. I'm not an Xorg config guru, so there might be a more precise way to do this, but it got the job done.

The file location and restarting Xorg might be slightly different on 14.04 -- I'm on 16.04 Beta 2 since it has the 4.4 kernel which is needed for Wifi to work.

I hope this helps you keep typing in the window you intended! FWIW, your hint at looking at "xinput list" is what got me going in the right direction for the fix, so thanks!

Beans

I had the same problem on a Dell Inspiron 17 5000. Taking out the second TouchPad worked, but sadly didn't solve the problem. FTTB I've had to plug in a mouse and disable the touchpad...

Beans

Disable the module from loading

I thought I could just as well post an easier way: just disable the driver! lsmod showed psmouse as being loaded (but unused). rmmod psmouse will remove the driver, but you want this to happen automatically. In that case, just blacklist it by adding the following line to /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

Code:
    blacklist psmouse

Beans

Many thanks it worked for me too with XPS 13 (9360). Previously the synclient parameters were not taken in account, now they are!

Beans

Thanks ddarling!

syndaemon was getting confused with both input devices, disabling Synaptics' did solve the issue. I also noticed, that the Synaptic's input device was not appearing after the laptop is suspended, before the fix.

Thanks!

Beans

Having LL0704:01 06CB:76AE Touchpad and SynPS/2 Touchpad listed in xinput and having entries for both in /proc/bus/input/devices this fix works, but after a while tapping and scrolling stops working. The cursor still works and of course the physical clicks.
    Never happens in Windows or w/o the Section in the syn quirks config.
    Ubuntu 17.04. Tried both 4.10, 4.11, 4.12 and 4.13 for a kernel. Driving me crazy.
    Palm detection and the ability to disable the touchpad while typing is crucial.

Since both touchpads show up in /proc/bus/input/devices the kernel supports or at least acknowledges them right?
    Which one am I supposed to use? Is LL0704:01 06CB:76AE the real one and SynPS/2 just a generic one?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by knerlington View Post
    [...], but after a while tapping and scrolling stops working. The cursor still works and of course the physical clicks.[...]
    Had the same behaviour on Dell XPS 13 9360 on Ubuntu 16.04 after disabling the generic Synaptics driver in xorg config and afterwards launching syndaemon with
    Code:
    syndaemon -i 1 -R
    Meanwhile – the generic Synaptic driver still disabled – I start syndaemon with
    Code:
    syndaemon -i 1 -d -t -K
    and everything works as expected, incl. tap-to-click and two-finger-scrolling.

Beans

Thank you so much. I bought an Inspiron 15 the other week. Excellent hardware.
    The ONLY problem I was facing with ubuntu was having to constantly watch there the cursor was after resting my palms.
    It didn't even occur to me there would be two devices!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast