Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I am new to linux, xubuntu core, help install browser

Beans

I am new to linux, xubuntu core, help install browser

I am new using linux, I downloaded Xubuntu core, but it does not even have a text editor, or archive manager! Could someone help me install Firefox browser, a text editor and archive manager?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: I am new to linux, xubuntu core, help install browser

Welcome. Open a terminal and:

sudo apt-get install synaptic
    Once that is done, look in the menu for Synaptic Package Manager. You can search and install what you want from there. You can install whatever you want via the terminal, but Synaptics is a little more friendly for newcomers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate

Also have a look at the package of anything you load up and see what your getting.

http://packages.ubuntu.com/wily/xubuntu-core

And you do have a text editor, its called nano.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Nano

PS
    SPM contains all package info.
    http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...ch&cof=FORID:9
    Last edited by v3.xx; March 6th, 2016 at 03:52 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by v3.xx View Post
    And you do have a text editor, its called nano.
    Think OP may be looking for a GUI text editor as in Abiword, Leafpad, or Libreoffice rather than a terminal text editor, none of which are installed in x-core (though there are a couple of terminals).

Xubuntu-core is very lean.
    Last edited by Bucky Ball; March 6th, 2016 at 05:30 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zancudo2 View Post
    I am new using linux, I downloaded Xubuntu core, but it does not even have a text editor, or archive manager! Could someone help me install Firefox browser, a text editor and archive manager?
    If you want Xubuntu's default programs, install xubuntu-desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I would recommend installing something more complete for a new user to the linux world. It might be easier to just download the xubuntu normal iso, or if your computer can handle it, the Ubuntu desktop, which has a more fleshed out desktop experience.

Installing the slimmed down core version might not be ideal for a new user as you are not familiar with whats out there in terms of apps for Linux.

just my two cents.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tom-bellas3rd View Post
    It might be easier to just download the xubuntu normal iso, or if your computer can handle it, the Ubuntu desktop, which has a more fleshed out desktop experience.
    No need. As oldoser2 posted, just install xubuntu-desktop if you want a standard Xubuntu. Achieves the same as installing it pretty much.

@OP: Installing xubuntu-desktop will leave you with Xubuntu, but that advice assumes you haven't installed xubuntu-core for a specific reason. If you have, installing xubuntu-desktop defeats the purpose of installing xubuntu-core.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by zancudo2 View Post
    xubuntu-core is not the usual way to install Xubuntu. It's a minimal setup that deliberately contains few software packages.

Be aware that while it is common in Windows to download an archive of software from an independent site and then extract it and run an installer contained within that archive, this is done very rarely in Linux. Distributions, like Ubuntu, maintain software on servers (repositories) and include a tool (package manager) to download and install software packages.

The package manager keeps track of what's been installed on your system and also handles the updates. We generally do not deal directly with the package manager, but use easier and more useful front-end programs. Some, like Synaptic, are GUI's, Others, like apt-get, are command line tools.

There's a lot more here: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallingSoftware

Beans

not working, the message is "package not found, but it is referred to another package, package missing, obsolete or available from another source"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Which version are you using? Have you tried
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    ?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast