Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I am new to linux, xubuntu core, help install browser

Beans

Re: I am new to linux, xubuntu core, help install browser

Xubuntu core 15.10, Yes, I tired, but nothing happens, " not available, but it is referred to another package, means it is obsolete, missing or only available from another source" is it possible to install at least a browser using the terminal?

Beans

Could you explain why you went the xubuntu core route if you're "new to linux"? Maybe the Xubuntu team would add a caveat to their documentation about the target audience for xubuntu core.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi

Quote Originally Posted by tom-bellas3rd View Post
    I would recommend installing something more complete for a new user to the linux world. It might be easier to just download the xubuntu normal iso, or if your computer can handle it, the Ubuntu desktop, which has a more fleshed out desktop experience.

Installing the slimmed down core version might not be ideal for a new user as you are not familiar with whats out there in terms of apps for Linux.

just my two cents.

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop
    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Could you explain why you went the xubuntu core route if you're "new to linux"?
    Agreed.

Kind regards
    If you believe everything you read, you better not read. ~ Japanese Proverb

If you don't read the newspaper, you're uninformed. If you read the newspaper, you're mis-informed. - Mark Twain

Thinking about becoming an Ubuntu Member?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zancudo2 View Post
    not working, the message is "package not found, but it is referred to another package, package missing, obsolete or available from another source"
    Please post output of both commands:
    Code:
    cat /etc/apt/sources.list

ll /etc/apt/sources.list.d/

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Could you explain why you went the xubuntu core route if you're "new to linux"? Maybe the Xubuntu team would add a caveat to their documentation about the target audience for xubuntu core.
    Xubuntu Core was introduced in May, 2015 and by the time it was introduced it was clearly stated that it's a slimmed down version of Xubuntu, not coming with all the additional features of a full and modern desktop. Essentially it only ships Xfce and the basic look and feel of Xubuntu, so there will be no office suite, media players, et cetera. See http://xubuntu.org/news/introducing-xubuntu-core/

As for adding a caveat to the shipped documentation it was't dimmed as necessary since it didn't fall under its scope, which is to provide information on some of the most common issues with Xubuntu.
    But as everything this isn't a written in stone rule, so whomever feels otherwise, please file a bug on the source package in Ubuntu at http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xubuntu-docs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have just installed Xubuntu core so that we can clear up a few things.

1) According to the Xubuntu core documentation we are told to download the mini ISO image. This is not a Xubuntu core mini ISO image but a Ubuntu mini ISO image. But we can get to a Xubuntu minimum installation from it. And all it is a Xubuntu command line.

2) Run the mini ISO Cd and we get an Installer boot menu with these four options

a) Install
    b) Command-line Install
    c) Advanced options
    d) Help

I chose Install and after providing the usual user information similar to using the Something Else option the Ubuntu base system installed.

3) At some point in the process we are asked to choose which software to install. At the top of the list is Basic Ubuntu Server but all the desktop environments are in the list including Xubuntu Desktop & Xubuntu Minimum Installation.

4) I choose Xubuntu Minimum Installation and what I got was a Xubuntu command line. Well, I didn't expect anything else.

5) Following the Xubuntu core documentation I then installed xubuntu-core

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-core
    That brought in lots and lots of stuff including Xfce4. A restart (sudo shutdown - r now) brought me to an Xfce4 desktop environment. That is more like it!

6) It does have a web browser. Debian Sensible Browser which not very sensibly failed to load. So, I opened the terminal and installed Firefox. And here I am posting from Firefox on Xubuntu core.

A question for Zancudo2

When the install process got to the point where it provided a dialog labeled Choose Software to Install, what option did you choose? If you choose Xubuntu Minimal Installation you now need to run

Code:
    sudo apt-get install xubuntu-core
    And take it from there.

Regards.

Edit: After a bit of research I have found out that sensible browser is not a web browser at all but a kind of command to launch the default installed web browser. Sorry, Xfce4 devs.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 8th, 2016 at 01:49 AM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

@grahammechanical: Not sure why you went the long way unless you specifically wanted Xubuntu-core 14.04. The community ISOs for Xubuntu-core are here and are installed as per normal. They have been available since 14.10 or 15.04 from memory. No mini install required.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    @grahammechanical: Not sure why you went the long way unless you specifically wanted Xubuntu-core 14.04. The community ISOs for Xubuntu-core are here and are installed as per normal. They have been available since 14.10 or 15.04 from memory. No mini install required.
    Well, Unit193 just made that link public after 15.04 release. But you're right, no mini install required.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12