Thread: Gecko-mediaplayer in Ubuntu Wily 15.10

Beans

Gecko-mediaplayer in Ubuntu Wily 15.10

Why there is no package gecko-mediaplayer in Wily and subsequent releases? it was there in Vivid, then I've noted that it has been removed in Wily and there's currently no trace of it either in Wily updates/backports or Xenial.

Is this package actually not needed anymore? It used to provide some plugins in Firefox which I suspected were in fact all the same, but I I was never sure about this.

Is their functionality now provided by the VLC plugin alone or is something else going on?

Beans

Re: Gecko-mediaplayer in Ubuntu Wily 15.10

It was dropped from Debian last summer due to being buggy & no current upstream maintainer
    https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=797188

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

I would just try another video player like smplayer or totem. Some projects just die off and are truly missed.

Beans

@ goofprog, my question was about the gecko-mediaplayer set of plugins for Firefox, not standalone players like totem or smplayer.

Reading the original Debian bug that mc4man has posted about the removal of this package (thanks for the link), it seems to suggest that browser-plugin-vlc is the recommended alternative -which somehow seems to confirm my idea that the gecko-mediaplayer plugins were in fact redundant, provided you had the vlc plugin installed.

Is that correct, or is there maybe some strange kind of media that could actually need the gecko-mediaplayer plugins ?

To put it in other words, once these are removed, could I eventually run into some video that the vlc plugin may not be able to play?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cogset View Post
    @ goofprog, my question was about the gecko-mediaplayer set of plugins for Firefox, not standalone players like totem or smplayer.

Reading the original Debian bug that mc4man has posted about the removal of this package (thanks for the link), it seems to suggest that browser-plugin-vlc is the recommended alternative -which somehow seems to confirm my idea that the gecko-mediaplayer plugins were in fact redundant, provided you had the vlc plugin installed.

Is that correct, or is there maybe some strange kind of media that could actually need the gecko-mediaplayer plugins ?

To put it in other words, once these are removed, could I eventually run into some video that the vlc plugin may not be able to play?
    I haven't used that vlc plugin but possibly this would be relevant to your query? (plus that plugin seems to no longer be developed
    http://arstechnica.com/information-t...ept-for-flash/

Beans

I did read a while ago that Mozilla was planning to remove support for plugins altogether (which is good news when thinking of flash and java) , however I wonder if this will in some way affect the ability to play mp4 files using the gstreamer backend.
    Also, some greasemonkey scripts are relying on gecko-mediaplayer to play videos.